What's new

Arimitsu 516 - how do I increase pressure?

Sasqwash

Reaction score
Hello, I have 5 Arimitsu 516 pumps that are running at 1200 psi. I’d like to increase the pressure but can’t figure out how to do it.
I’ve turned the set “screw” (for lack of a better word - it’s the brass housing with a spring and a part with a ball bearing inside of it).
I’ve adjusted the nut below it to crank it down further but nothing ever changes.
I’d like to run my wash at 1500 psi but I’m stuck in 1200 psi land.
Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

thank you all sincerely much for reading my post.
Steve

Attachments

Randy

Reaction score
Looks to me like the regulator is bottomed out. What size nozzles are you using? You might try a 1504 nozzle.

MEP001

Reaction score
That regulator is for the low pressure setting, maybe presoak or spot free. There's another regulator for the high pressure.

Sasqwash

Reaction score
Looks to me like the regulator is bottomed out. What size nozzles are you using? You might try a 1504 nozzle.
Thank you for responding. Do I need to buy a new regulator or am I just looking in the wrong place for one that is already there?

MEP001

Reaction score
Randy is wrong.
Did you not see that the regulator is on the output of a DEMA 453P solenoid?

Sasqwash

Reaction score
The regulator circled in RED is for HP , the regulator circled in blue is for Spot Free.
I’ve tried three of my 5 and I can decrease the pressure slightly (about 50-100 psi) but it won’t increase. They all have adjustable Up to 2000 psi regulators on them that were manufactured in 2019.

mom wanting to increase my pressure but it won’t increaseZ. I can bottom out the regulator and still not see any increase.

I’m not opposed to buying new ones, it just seems strange that they have all failed at the same time…like I’m doing something wrong.

please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Steve

MEP001

Reaction score
It requires a certain amount of flow, plus the restriction of the tip, to reach a certain pressure. The pumps could need service, there could be air entering the system, the supply could be restricted, the tips in the bay could be eroded, there could be a failed check valve allowing some of the flow to back up. It's almost definitely not the regulators. They are regulating, and they don't just go bad and make the pressure weak. And you have TWO regulators on each pump. Are you even adjusting the correct one?

Sasqwash

Reaction score
It requires a certain amount of flow, plus the restriction of the tip, to reach a certain pressure. The pumps could need service, there could be air entering the system, the supply could be restricted, the tips in the bay could be eroded, there could be a failed check valve allowing some of the flow to back up. It's almost definitely not the regulators. They are regulating, and they don't just go bad and make the pressure weak. And you have TWO regulators on each pump. Are you even adjusting the correct one?
Good morning, thank you very much for your reply.
Iefinitely adjusting the high pressure regulator but my certainty ends there. I have ordered all new tips for the wands.
The pumps are 4 years old and they are all doing the exact same thing so I would “assume” not all were in need of service at the same time (however using that logic I shouldn’t have assumed the regulators either lol).
Last year when it was extremely cold (right at zero degrees) I disconnected the lines going from the pump heading to the wash bays to allow all the water to drain out in case the weep system couldn’t handle the extreme cold. I reattached it as soon as the extreme cold passed and everything worked (or so I thought). Could I have created this problem myself at that time introducing air into the system?

I do not know what check valve you are referring to but if you can break it down pretty simple I’d love to attempt to check it out.

I'm sure you’re very busy and I don’t want to monopolize your time but any detailed information on all of the potential problems you’ve indicated that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Steve

MEP001

Reaction score
It's time for you to learn more about your car wash. Look at posts here about failed check valves, where they might be, the symptoms, etc. It's all been discussed many times before. I don't know your car wash and can't tell you where to look. Or you can take pictures of every part of the plumbing from your pump to the bay, including at the boom and someone can point them out to you. Or hire a good tech to come show you. If you say where you're located, someone might volunteer to come help you.

Sasqwash

Reaction score
I haven’t owned it very long. It was in terrible shape (leaks everywhere and making a whopping $175.00 a month income with a $500.00 per month water bill).
All I got was keys. The previous owner ignored my messages when I asked for help. Not complaining, it is what it is but I have learned a lot in the time that I’ve owned it. I’m making $900.00 per month profit after expenses now and still growing. Just don’t want you to think I’m being lazy. I’ve been trying my best and will continue. It’s actually fun (although frustrating at times) lol.

thank you for your time. I’ll research check valves and see if I can’t get myself into more trouble. Have a great day and thank you again for taking time to help me. I honestly do appreciate it.
Steve

MEP001

Reaction score
You could still take pictures and post them. Without them it's difficult to tell you where to look.

Someone edited one of your pics above and pointed you to the correct one, but you didn't reply to it in any way. Whether you did or didn't see it, look at it now and confirm. I've been a car wash service tech for 30 years, and I can't tell you how many times a customer told me they checked this or they were sure about that or they replaced the part and it's still doing it and there's no way it's the part because it's new, only to have me drive 100+ miles and fix exactly what they told me it wasn't. So look at the picture and make sure.

I'm willing to help, but I'm not a miracle worker (despite some of my customers telling me I am).

Sasqwash

Reaction score
Lol, that was funny.

yes, I did see the pictures. I know which is the low pressure and which is the high pressure regulator.

I can bottom it out and the pressure will not increase. If I go the other direction I can lower
The pressure approximately 100 psi. The pressure will go no higher than 1200 psi.

I have two wash bays and attempted to adjust the pressure in both and received the same results.

Thank you for offering advice. I really do appreciate it.
My regulators were manufactured in 2019 and are supposed to be adjustable up to 2000 psi.

MEP001

Reaction score
I can bottom it out and the pressure will not increase. If I go the other direction I can lower
The pressure approximately 100 psi. The pressure will go no higher than 1200 psi.
Then the regulator is working. You have a flow issue.

Sasqwash

Reaction score
That’s how it was when I bought it. It’s improved considerably since then. Last month I made $900.00 over expenses. Electric, water, & high speed internet is $215.00 per month.
It’s amazing what a little TLC can accomplish. 😀

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Welcome to the business!

What size are your motors? If they are 3Hp you can only get so much out of them. A quick google says you can get 3.6 GPM at 1200 PSI out of a 3HP. That's pretty much a #5 or 6 nozzle you'll be working with. A #5 flows 2.5, #6 nozzle flows 3 GPM at and a #7 flows 3.5 gpm at 1000 psi . There are charts that show required horsepower for flow/pressure. I can't seem to find right now- perhaps there is one in Kleen rites or dultmeier's catalog. However, if not enough HP is the case you would still be able to get the pressure higher, and it would drop when you pulled the trigger.

I would take off the hose downstream of the dema valve that is going to your low psi regulator and see if it is allowing water to bypass when the dema is closed. Even a little flow out of it could prevent you from building pressure. They are rated for 1200psi if i recall but could be wrong.

Final question what are you trying to accomplish? I know some people run truck bays but I quit the higher pressure game years ago. Almost 1/2 my customers are women and the higher pressure/flows attract less desirable business- mud washers, etc.

MEP001

Reaction score
If they are 3Hp you can only get so much out of them. A quick google says you can get 3.6 GPM at 1200 PSI out of a 3HP.
Just to be clear with this, he should be able to increase the pressure to 1500 PSI or more even with a 3 HP motor, but it will eventually trip something electrical. It will still adjust above 1200. Also the DEMA 453P solenoid won't be able to open above 1200 PSI. I assume it's there for the spot free rinse. If you want to run your bays at 1500, you'll need a separate delivery system for the spot free.