What's new

Are There Alternatives to SS Roll-Up or Garage Doors to Block the Strong North Winter Winds?

Carl

Reaction score
I have 6 SS bays which face north so in the wintertime it's horrible keeping the floors from freezing because of the strong frigid north winter winds! :eek:I need a barrier on my SS exits side but I can't add traditional SS doors because they reduce my bays' clearance height too much. (and my regulars who are tall-to-the-max will inevitably crash those rolled-up doors just assuming the clearance height is as it's always been for 14 years and not lowered suddenly from new doors rolled up above the SS bays)

Is there an alternative that you have seen or know of that can give SS bays a wind barrier for winter that isn't your traditional type automatic roll-up door or garage door?

I thought maybe asking an awning company if they can rig something up to be used as a wind barrier but my gut tells me that fierce winds will take that "canopy wall" and destroy it as it ends up "pocketing" the strong winds like a parachute! Or maybe I could use something like that for winds less than so many miles per hour w/ some benefit versus another year without?

I'm just much older now and what a luxury it would be to not have winter winds cancel out all my floor heat because my SS bays are exposed to the strong winter winds.

Thanks,

Carl

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
There is a folding type plastic Strip door many tunnels used and we still use that could be placed outside on the exit end of the bay with the clearance as high as the opening. It could be activated with a floor pad loop.

Carl

Reaction score
Earl - I have seen these in places before! Thanks for mentioning about them. This would negate my clearance problem. Appreciate the great advice! (y) :)

~ Carl

Carl

Reaction score
Problem for me though is that my vacuuming area is north of the SS bays so unfortunately I have too much distance from where I can plant a nice row of tall Evergreens but it is a great idea that would have worked had I had closeness to ground to plant some.

Thanks! (y)

~ Carl