What's new

Anyone using RFID on an IBA?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I just bought a new Hamilton HTK Auto-Cashier so I could do grocery coupon codes among some other capabilities that I liked. My distributor stopped in today wanting to sell me an RFID system. What he was suggesting was an unlimited monthly wash pass. I liked the idea, but not the 10K price tag on top of the 20K I just spent on this poor performing auto. Anyone have any thoughts or experience?

bigleo48

Reaction score
I too looked at the one advertized in the PC&D rag. What turned me off from them is they had some royalty thing...so they would clear carwashes and take a % cut. Not interested in that.

However, if there was something that would work with my existing WSII's fleet setup and cost in the $5k range, I would be interested.

BigLeo

Red Baron

Reaction score
I like the concept by my problem is at least twice a day someone goes stupid and causes my Gold Line to stack washes while giving a "Car Wash In Use." I'm afraid I'd really annoy those who pull up and get charged then can't wash.

wagsnwheels

Reaction score
I have the same problem with the Gold Line. I don't think I save that much time by allowing people to prepay for a wash before the previous one is done so I am trying to set up my Gold Line not to accept payment until the previous wash is done.

MEP001

Reaction score
The problem isn't with the Gold Line. The D&S 5000, for example, doesn't time out and send a pulse back to the auto cashier if a wash is purchased but isn't started for whatever reason, then the next person will pull up and pay only to get a -CAR WASH IN USE- display. If they pulled in anyway they would get a wash, but they'd get the one the last guy bought.

Red Baron

Reaction score
The problem isn't with the Gold Line. The D&S 5000, for example, doesn't time out and send a pulse back to the auto cashier if a wash is purchased but isn't started for whatever reason, then the next person will pull up and pay only to get a -CAR WASH IN USE- display. If they pulled in anyway they would get a wash, but they'd get the one the last guy bought.

Yeah.

I only have this issue on 1 of my 5000's so I guess it's not a design problem. I've been trying to think of a way, maybe with a PLC, so that if the "Car Wash In Use" message is displayed for 10 minutes, it automatically resets. It would save me hundreds of trips to the car wash to reset #6.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my Mark VII machines. My distributor used a PLC to reset the machine if a purchased wash is not used within 15 minutes, then reset it a second time in case a wash has been stacked.

wagsnwheels

Reaction score
Great idea! Who is your distributor? I would love to call him and find out how I may be able to do the same thing with my Wesumat.

easywash

Reaction score
Rfid

If you are looking to build consistent and dependable cash flow then RFID and monthly memberships is the answer.

Do the math... if you had 200 members paying $29 a month that's $5,800 in sales whether they wash or not.

I currently have 367 members with the average paying me $49 a month :)

The cost of the RFID is insignificant when you look at the overall upside in revenue... provided you are good at marketing the memberships.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I think that you could do this with a time delay relay, its been awhile since I* was in the loop so I don't have the wiring in my head. I reprogrammed my washes PLC.

bigleo48

Reaction score
If you are looking to build consistent and dependable cash flow then RFID and monthly memberships is the answer.

Do the math... if you had 200 members paying $29 a month that's $5,800 in sales whether they wash or not.

I currently have 367 members with the average paying me $49 a month :)

The cost of the RFID is insignificant when you look at the overall upside in revenue... provided you are good at marketing the memberships.
Easywash,

A very compelling argument. Whose system are you using?

BigLeo

easywash

Reaction score
Bigleo If you search the archives for RFID you will find what I am using. I don't want to promote it here.

rfid?

Reaction score
rfid?

I too looked at the one advertized in the PC&D rag. What turned me off from them is they had some royalty thing...so they would clear carwashes and take a % cut. Not interested in that.

However, if there was something that would work with my existing WSII's fleet setup and cost in the $5k range, I would be interested.

BigLeo
THe % you are talking about is base on # of rfid washes so you are only paying for what you use- the computer support, server time, backup, all updates, is all included in this penny's per wash charge great deal,it is a very small amount when compared to others that charge a monthly fee and charge you for every update etc.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
What bothers me is the inability of most of the new systems to interface with older auto cashiers like my ACW 4.

Anyway, those of you that are utilizing rfid, how in the world do you sell packages and such if your site isn't staffed?

easywash

Reaction score
Staff your site

What bothers me is the inability of most of the new systems to interface with older auto cashiers like my ACW 4.

Anyway, those of you that are utilizing rfid, how in the world do you sell packages and such if your site isn't staffed?

The only effective way to sell memberships with RFID is to have staff onsite.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I like the concept, but I question if it will work for a single in bay automatic. If you have 100 members and most show up on a sunny Feb. Saturday along with your regular customers they will be in for a long wait. They may feel "ripped off" since this "quick, easy club thing" was supposed to get them in and out with no hassle. Might they think "what good is unlimited washes when I have to wait 30 min."?
I am considering rfid for my single iba but that is my stumbling block. I can see it for a tunnel but not sure about an iba.

Please share your thoughts.

easywash

Reaction score
It's about convenience

I like the concept, but I question if it will work for a single in bay automatic. If you have 100 members and most show up on a sunny Feb. Saturday along with your regular customers they will be in for a long wait. They may feel "ripped off" since this "quick, easy club thing" was supposed to get them in and out with no hassle. Might they think "what good is unlimited washes when I have to wait 30 min."?
I am considering rfid for my single iba but that is my stumbling block. I can see it for a tunnel but not sure about an iba.

Please share your thoughts.
Your customers buy memberships for the convenience and time savings. We find the MAJORITY of our members train themselves to avoid the busy times.

If that is the major stumbling block then you can always program your membership options to charge and extra $2 a wash during your Peak Times.

Kinda like a toll bridge... Cross as many times as you want during off peak times for one price. Wanna cross during peak times pay and extra $2.

Etowah