What's new

Anyone using LPR license plate readers?

DiamondWash

Reaction score
The fee is for the elimination of the on-site recorder and having the footage transferred directly to the cloud, I'm not sold entirely on this new concept being I work with Alibi Security they recently rolled out this new type of security camera system, the bandwidth requirements are going to play a huge part in getting this to work properly.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Why would someone spend $125/mo?? For what?
I paid around $11,000 for 26 cameras fully installed incl. 2 LPR cameras and within a year I got my money back from a guy who killed my touchless. That idiot.
No monthly payments except for the Internet.
I have 20 cameras at my site. 16TB of storage.

I can pick plates day/night with a sub $500 trail cam with the right settings. Heck, there are guys on the forums doing the same with $100 cams off alibaba.

MEP001

Reaction score
FWIW I have an old PC-based DVR I put together in 2005 that has optical character recognition software and can read and catalog plates as well as send an alarm if it finds something on the blacklist.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
FWIW I have an old PC-based DVR I put together in 2005 that has optical character recognition software and can read and catalog plates as well as send an alarm if it finds something on the blacklist.
Sounds like a real worthwhile winner. Now hopefully new technology does not mess that up. The "obsoleting factors"?

MEP001

Reaction score
It's obsolete because it won't run on Windows higher than XP.

JustClean

Reaction score
I have 20 cameras at my site. 16TB of storage.

I can pick plates day/night with a sub $500 trail cam with the right settings. Heck, there are guys on the forums doing the same with $100 cams off alibaba.
So 20 cameras x $500 = $10,000. It seems I am about right with my price with installation and 2x number plate recognition cameras.
That is recognition not capturing with the service company across the road. 😊
Of course you can always go cheaper. The question is: What is your maintenance level, i.e. if you are away who can fix it? Is it set-and-forget or do you like to tinker?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
So 20 cameras x $500 = $10,000. It seems I am about right with my price with installation and 2x number plate recognition cameras.
That is recognition not capturing with the service company across the road. 😊
Of course you can always go cheaper. The question is: What is your maintenance level, i.e. if you are away who can fix it? Is it set-and-forget or do you like to tinker?
My whole system cost me about $7,000 IIRC. I installed it myself with help of my attendant over the course of a week and saved $5,000. The quote was $12,000. I have a dealer account so my prices were closer to wholesale.

I have all 4MP turret cameras. I have two Hikvision PTZ/motion sensing cameras. Plus the NVR and the storage. Plus misc stuff like cable, EZ connectors and tools.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Has anyone used a $20 Wyze 3 cam for license plate recognition? The company has greatly improved the way they work with light compared to their earlier versions. We have found by using smart phone mirroring-computer apps ... the SD card is no longer as critical. They say the 2 way audio is also improved & have examples of most of the improvements on their website.

Burky

Reaction score
A LPR license plate reader system won’t do us much good in Washington State. It’s almost impossible for someone who is not with law enforcement to get a name and address off a license plate. We used to have a private detective wont would get us that information, not anymore the state cut him off.
I agree with you that getting license plates is relatively useless, can’t do anything with it and I am in the state of Pennsylvania. I think there should be a workaround for this. If the car wash industry as a group or association would implement some type of signage/verbiage that states you are on private property and by using this private facility, you subject yourself to share your DOT information with the owners of this facility, Or something to that extent. I have many repeat offenders of varying types at my car wash, but the police department has been relatively useless in helping me eliminate some of the problems unless a crime is committed. Here in Pennsylvania, we have the Pennsylvania Turnpike and EZ Pass which is using this data regularly and my understanding is they are private company as well.

MEP001

Reaction score
If the car wash industry as a group or association would implement some type of signage/verbiage that states you are on private property and by using this private facility, you subject yourself to share your DOT information with the owners of this facility, Or something to that extent.
There's nothing stopping you from putting up a sign to that extent yourself. It might scare off some of the dregs.

Burky

Reaction score
Not a bad idea, but if I can’t get the local PD to get me the customers information it somewhat looses its intended purpose. Maybe I have to get an attorney to make a sign for me 🤷‍♂️

Randy

Reaction score
About 95% of the cars that come into the car wash and do crime are stolen or they put a bag over the license plate so it doesn't do much good to get a plate number. The way the laws are now in Washington the criminals can do just anything they want.

Roz

Reaction score
About 95% of the cars that come into the car wash and do crime are stolen or they put a bag over the license plate so it doesn't do much good to get a plate number. The way the laws are now in Washington the criminals can do just anything they want.
We have two different people doing illegal trash dumping of household waste. Our state only has a rear plate and the offenders use something to obscure the plate from speed cameras. If PD would only enforce the law that makes obscuring a license plate a ticketed offense we would be able to report them. What good is a law if it is never enforced...