What's new

Anyone taking advantage of the coin shortage to raise prices?

KleanRide

Reaction score
I usually have $400-500 in quarters to take to the bank after refilling my bill changers each week. I've never been short since I bought this wash.

So how do you guys account for the expense when you do come up short and have to buy more quarters from the bank to top off your bill changers?

In my case I'd call it theft since the shortfall would be due to drive-off bill changer abuse.

OurTown

Reaction score
I usually have $400-500 in quarters to take to the bank after refilling my bill changers each week. I've never been short since I bought this wash.

So how do you guys account for the expense when you do come up short and have to buy more quarters from the bank to top off your bill changers?

In my case I'd call it theft since the shortfall would be due to drive-off bill changer abuse.

I don't believe this is theft because they are exchanging bills for coins. There is wear on the changers though and that would be an expense. Also unless the bank charges a fee (and apparently some do) there is not much difference time-wise between depositing bills and coins each week vs depositing bills and buying coins.

MEP001

Reaction score
I would call it theft of service, same as driving in, dumping trash and not spending money. Just because a few fast food bags and mail doesn't ultimately cost me anything if just one person does it, it's still against what the trash cans are provided for. Same as the changer, we've spent upwards of $8,000 and more on maintenance, and have to make trips to the bank and possibly spend more buying quarters, all for a unit to provide something meant for our customers' use, not to be abused by the public. Regardless, I just ordered 10,000 tokens to mix in with the quarters, so it'll stop pretty quick and I'll profit from it until it does.

KleanRide

Reaction score
Okay, my dim light just flickered back on and I answered my own question about accounting for the shortfall.

This morning a guy read the Customers Only sign I posted on my changers and then asked, “how can you restrict access to a public change machine?”

MEP001

Reaction score
I've lost count of how many times someone told me the car wash is a public place and they can do whatever they want, and I can't ask them to leave.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Curious - someone sees you carrying a bag of money. Do they stop to think what is in there beore doing something stupid.
When my bank started using plastic bags the first time I used them I deposited several bags of quarters at the bank.
A customer who had been on his phone in his car got out and walked several cars over and said he saw all the quarters in the bags and wanted to know how many quarters were in each bag.
My answer was not much.
I never have had that asked before.
So I told the bank to save my cloth bags and ask Brinks for any extra ones they may.
Have not had that question asked since then.
To me it’s an issue.

Last edited:

KleanRide

Reaction score
I converted an old metal paint bucket with drips and a lid into my cash carry bucket. Makes it feel a little less risky toting coins and bills around my lot and to/from my truck.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I just ordered $5,000 worth of quarters last Friday they arrived at my bank today no questions asked no problems......coin shortage??????

Normally I can go and get them same day bc I'm talking 4 5 or 600 worth for all the walk offs during the month at 1 site I have in particular but this time I figured just in case might as well get enough. Bank also told me there was no problem or questions when ordered.