What's new

Anyone notice an increase in business for 2021?

APW

Reaction score
All three of my sites that are open have already passed what they did last year and we still have almost 2.5 months to go. Anyone else seen this increase? Wondering if more people have stimulus/unemployment money to spend or are people just in their cars that much more nowadays. I have noticed a big increase in trash as well, since Covid.

Randy

Reaction score
So far this year we have experienced a substantial increase in business and a huge increase in garbage, theft and vandalism. Now that the price of goods and gasoline are on the rise we are seeing the numbers decline back to the pre-COVID days. I talked to 2 of my suppliers this morning and they both told me the same thing, they are seeing price increases of upwards of 20% on average, some parts are more than that and there are shortages.

washnvac

Reaction score
Yep. 2020 was best year ever, and this year up double digits over that at five locations. Located on the Eastern Shore in lower, slower Delaware.

Reactions: APW

Doug P.

Reaction score
Our business in KY is up YTD for 2021 compared to last year and all other years. We have done a lot of upgrades at our 7 sites and I wasn't sure how much of it was attributed to that and how much of the increase was from the current situation. I hope it is not temporary but my guess is it is.

Doug P

OurTown

Reaction score
We passed 2020 numbers back in August. The first five months we might have been on track to double 2020 but it has slowed in the last few months or so but still a good bit higher than last year at this time. I am also concerned it is temporary.

MEP001

Reaction score
July, August, and September for me this year were higher than last year's same months, which were also really good. October seems down from last year so far, but it's still been really good - October last year was most likely a record high for the wash, but last three months were all better than last October. Seems like we're constantly hitting the perfect weather to help, mild summer, not too much rain, and when it does rain it's late afternoon/early evening once during the week when people are driving, so cars get dirty.

Eric H

Reaction score
Like OurTown, I hit my 2020 car count sometime in August. July was my only month that numbers were down but I don’t think we saw the sun for more than 3 days that month.
I was expecting car count to drop as gas prices went up but that hasn’t been the case yet. September, October and November are typically my slowest months unless the snow comes early.

I think we need to ask the million dollar question, WHY?
I haven’t made any significant changes except adding CC to vacuums. My competition hasn’t made any significant changes either positive or negative.
Very few people are buy new (or used) cars. Are people making a better effort at maintaining their cars?
I’d like to know why everyone’s number are up so much when all of my experience tells me it should be in decline!

MEP001

Reaction score
Very few people are buy new (or used) cars.
It's the opposite here. New car sales are down obviously because there are no new cars on the lots, but used car sales are crazy. The value of used cars has gone up 50% in the last six months. I was trying to buy a used Ford Transit Connect, but ones 2-4 years old with 50,000 miles are selling for 90% of what new ones were going for a year ago.

Eric H

Reaction score
...but used car sales are crazy. The value of used cars has gone up 50% in the last six months.
I sold my 2014 Ford Fusion to a dealership for cash. Last October it was worth about $9600. I sold it to the dealer for $11,500 which was on the high end for a private sale. He turned around and listed it for $15,500 and it was gone within a week. I paid $22,500 in 2016. As you would expect it was in “Carwash Guy” condition.

In any case, I don’t think car sales are contributing to the increased sales in the Carwash business.

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
In any case, I don’t think car sales are contributing to the increased sales in the Carwash business.
It's probably not a measurable part of the increase here either. It might be a residual effect from the COVID shutdowns last year. About two weeks after the shelter-at-home orders came through, my income went way up from the year before. FWIW I do see a lot more people coming in with new-to-them cars. I even bought one myself a couple weeks ago.

washnshine

Reaction score
We are up between 15-20%. Seems like more people are “out and about” even than before 2020.

Kramerwv

Reaction score
Like OurTown, I hit my 2020 car count sometime in August. July was my only month that numbers were down but I don’t think we saw the sun for more than 3 days that month.
I was expecting car count to drop as gas prices went up but that hasn’t been the case yet. September, October and November are typically my slowest months unless the snow comes early.

I think we need to ask the million dollar question, WHY?
I haven’t made any significant changes except adding CC to vacuums. My competition hasn’t made any significant changes either positive or negative.
Very few people are buy new (or used) cars. Are people making a better effort at maintaining their cars?
I’d like to know why everyone’s number are up so much when all of my experience tells me it should be in decline!
Two words - Free Money

Cool Wash

Reaction score
I noticed the same. Sept was less than last sept and October is following same trend.

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
2020 sales were up over 30% from 2019. So far 2021 is up another 15%
I want to think this is due to brilliant management, but I really think it is a positive effect of the Covid shutdown. A lot of my customers are service workers and wait staff that were told to stay home and collect their paychecks. They had time on their hands and money in their pockets so they came to the self service car wash.
Right now I'm watching the price of gas to see how much that is going to cut into customer's budget. I'm sure this bubble will burst sooner or later.

SuperSuds04

Reaction score
Defintely up over 2020 numbers, roughly 35% for the year. My Sept and Oct have been much higher than last year and see a continual growth though unlike the last few posts. Assuming due to people staying home more, excess money to spend not going out as much and wanting to get out more to do things that are open