What's new

Anyone know tunnels? Cost to build?

soonermajic

Reaction score
What's a ROUGH ballpark estimate on an 85' tunnel, dbl side wraps & overheads, single low sides, Tire Shiner, a couple Arches, 6 blowers, 2 POS / lanes, 10 vacs. This would be a rural area, under 10k.
NOT including the land price.

Blanco

Reaction score
Roughly anywhere from 3 - 6 million. Equipment will be a million if not more.

washnshine

Reaction score
What's a ROUGH ballpark estimate on an 85' tunnel, dbl side wraps & overheads, single low sides, Tire Shiner, a couple Arches, 6 blowers, 2 POS / lanes, 10 vacs. This would be a rural area, under 10k.
Coach - not sure if you are locked into that lengthof tunnel, but you might need more than 85’ for that equipment package.

distributors get creative all the time, so Im sure it can be done but just as a reference and FYI.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I heard a guy that should know recently say " a million for land, a million for the building, and a million for the equipment". And he's not building fancy sites, just standard express tunnels.

washnshine

Reaction score
I heard a guy that should know recently say " a million for land, a million for the building, and a million for the equipment". And he's not building fancy sites, just standard express tunnels.
Coach - it’s so warm where you are - forget the building, have an outdoor wash and save a million! 😆

soonermajic

Reaction score
Coach - it’s so warm where you are - forget the building, have an outdoor wash and save a million! 😆
Can that be done? Ha. It does get below freezing about 10 ights/yr. Ya know, when Global Warming turns into Global cooling (formerly known as Winter)! Ha

I don't think in a town of 8300 we'd ever need to wash 125 cph! Heck, we'd do good to wash 125 cpd! 😁

washnshine

Reaction score
Can that be done? Ha. It does get below freezing about 10 ights/yr. Ya know, when Global Warming turns into Global cooling (formerly known as Winter)! Ha

I don't think in a town of 8300 we'd ever need to wash 125 cph! Heck, we'd do good to wash 125 cpd! 😁
I’ve seen a couple sites in California that are an “open air” concept. No walls, or partially outside, but no - I’ve never seen a tunnel completely outside.

MC3033

Reaction score
If local building requirements are light, your starting with a good pad and your trying to build cheap I think it’s doable for $2.5m including development soft costs.

Construction, especially something few people understand like car washes, can vary drastically in cost. A few local ordinances could easily add hundreds of thousands. A simple design choice like “I want a big equipment room” adds tens of thousands.

MGSMN

Reaction score
We have a 90' tunnel with all that equipment plus a top only Buffer brush using a 80' belt conveyor. It's tight and you will be FLASH drying. Wish the tunnel was 140' for more loading space and drip time between the rinse arches and dryers. 17 vacs and a reclaim system. 2.5-3.5m ballpark w/o the land.

Roz

Reaction score
I have seen an Open air tunnel in Europe. If I can find the place online I will post but Europe is more innovative at times than the USA wrt car washing.

mac

Reaction score
Sounds like you are new to the business. If so do not start with a tunnel. Do some self serve bays and learn how to clean first. You could even put up a sign that says tunnel coming soon.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Sounds like you are new to the business. If so do not start with a tunnel. Do some self serve bays and learn how to clean first. You could even put up a sign that says tunnel coming soon.
Can't tell if serious. Unless thisnis a different Mac. We have talked on here many times, texted, & bought equipment.
I have had as many as 4 SS/I A washes. Now have 2. May be looking to build a tunnel or 3.
Ha

CheetahExpress

Reaction score
Coach, are you sure a town of 10,000 can successfully support a tunnel? I've read where you need more than a hundred a day to stay afloat, considering the high initial costs + all the labor involved; and they're not open 24 hours a day like our unattended IBA's which are perfect for smaller venues.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I have 5 tunnels near my wash with a population of 13k

2 Tommy's across the street from each other
1 Rocket Express that will be built literally next door to the Tommy's
1 Mister Car Wash down the street 30 secs from Tommy's
1 Shine Shop Express being built 2 mins away down the street from the others and with a 3/3 across the street from that.

Rfreeman

Reaction score

1 Shine Shop Express being built 2 mins away down the street from the others and with a 3/3 across the street from that.

Wow...do you mind telling what town this is? I wonder how busy each is?

bkim13

Reaction score

You can do analysis paralysis but what pple have told me is that u really don’t know how a new tunnel will do until it’s up and running. The express I’m looking to buy is in a beach town w 4K population but surrounded by towns w 30k population. When I first saw the listing i just assumed it was highly seasonal not doing much volume. wrong. the wash has been around for 50 years and is popular w the locals and it washes 70-80k cars a year which is more than some of the car washes i'm looking at in denser towns with 30-40k populations

washnshine

Reaction score
You can do analysis paralysis but what pple have told me is that u really don’t know how a new tunnel will do until it’s up and running. The express I’m looking to buy is in a beach town w 4K population but surrounded by towns w 30k population. When I first saw the listing i just assumed it was highly seasonal not doing much volume. wrong. the wash has been around for 50 years and is popular w the locals and it washes 70-80k cars a year which is more than some of the car washes i'm looking at in denser towns with 30-40k populations
Yes - a town with low population can neighbor a town/city with larger population and due to commuting/shopping ease of travel routes etc., the wash can still do more volume than you might expect. That is why the traffic count is important as well.

OurTown

Reaction score

How many are open right now? Three? It looks like none were open over a year ago. That's crazy fast.

Etowah