What's new

Anyone ever done with this your xrs airlift door...

BBE

Reaction score
Has anyone cut off the insulation bristles on their xrs airlift doors? We have terrible problems with ice chunks building up on the bristles and preventing the door from closing all the way. Attached are some pictures. This is what the door looks like when it tries to close and gets stuck on the ice chunks that have formed on the bristles. On a busy day, it's a full time baby sitting job chopping the ice off in between cars and getting the door to close all the way.

Also attached is a different style door we have that is very similar to the airlift door, but the rails do not have these bristles on them, we have zero problems with this door closing and getting hung up. Just wondering if anyone else is having this issue and if anyone has just cut the bristles right off.

Geegro

Reaction score
Trim the bristles (both sides of the track) so they don't quite touch when the door is up. (Easier said than done!) I tried using tin snips, garden shears, even a hedge trimmer... Finally ended pulling the "fur" out of the track, laying it on a 2x6 and trimming it with a razor-sharp axe. WATCH YOUR FINGERS ! This eliminates the bristles freezing together. Has worked perfectly for 6 winters now. Good Luck, Rich.

BBE

Reaction score
Trim the bristles (both sides of the track) so they don't quite touch when the door is up. (Easier said than done!) I tried using tin snips, garden shears, even a hedge trimmer... Finally ended pulling the "fur" out of the track, laying it on a 2x6 and trimming it with a razor-sharp axe. WATCH YOUR FINGERS ! This eliminates the bristles freezing together. Has worked perfectly for 6 winters now. Good Luck, Rich.
How did you pull the fur out of the track?

cdreed06

Reaction score
I have the same problem!!!!! Can you just leave the "fur" out on one side? I have been thinking about that.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Have newly installed Ultimate Electraflex doors that also use the bristle for weather stripping. Their bristles are probably less than an inch, do not touch and have the same problem. Also, the door goes up and down it knocks some of the ice chunks off and they collect in the bottom of the track. I haven't modified them yet, but our wyndstar doors use a rubber door seal and do not have that problem. Using the bristles in a wet cold environment is a poor design in my opinion. Classic engineer versus operator mentality.