What's new

Any SS washes closed at night?

KleanRide

Reaction score
By my tally about 2% of my paid business and 98% of my crime, abuse, and stupidity happens between 10pm and 6am. I've spent the better part of the past two weeks chasing down midnight trash, taco grease, and paint dumpers and I'm wondering if any SS operators are closing at night? Signs and cameras don't seem to phase these people and I'm getting a weak response from the cops.

By closed I mean gated and locked up, not just lights out.

All of my SS competitors are open 24/7 but I'm thinking it may be a fair trade to give up 2% of my revenues in exchange for sending all of my late night sh_t heels over to their washes.

Am I crazy? Any thoughts?

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I sympathize with you. Probably many have little revenue but plenty of problems after dark.

I would be concerned with starting something you could not undo later. If you start closing at night, it is conceivable that you would not be allowed to go back to 24 hour operation. Opposition to increased noise or whatever.

There is a labor cost to opening and closing each day. So if you could not go back if you changed your mind, you would be stuck with that.

Randy

Reaction score
About 30 years ago we were forced to shut down one of our washes at night from 10pm to 7am, all the power had to be shut off except for the lights over the back door and the over the changer by the city for violations to the newly enacted noise ordinance, we fought them tooth and nail, spent thousands of dollar on lawyers but still lost. The city actually did us a favor by forcing us to shut down at night. Our illegal dumping, theft, and vandalism went way down. The next 3 car washes we built we did the same thing, fenced and gated them, shut them down from 10pm to 7am. We have a security company come, close the gate lock it and then come back at 7am, unlock and open the gate. It’s worked out so well that a couple of other local car washes have done the same thing.

MEP001

Reaction score
I know of one operator who shuts his down at night, not sure of the time but it's gated and all lights out all night. He's in one of the worst areas in town.

I might consider shutting down at night, but I feel like I'd want the entire wash fenced off.

celica

Reaction score
I have gone through the same thing. Most operators accept that it comes with the territory. I have cabs and tow trucks washing 24/7 so closing at night would really hurt. Your out to make every dollar you can. It starts to get on your mind on what's going when your not there. You arrive every morning with a bit of unease to see what kind of condition your wash is in. If your in a rural area with very little business, it would be worth it to close at night. I don't have that option.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I'm in a rural area, but I get occasional washers at all hours. And there are a few devoted truck owners who always come in about 5am, likely on the way to the job site. I get at least several of those every few days, maybe more.

I think the night business I receive is probably roughly equal to the cost of electricity to keep the property lit up. But that has the benefit of added security.