What's new

Any SS owners have storage units on property?

Reaction score
Does anyone have storage units on their car wash lot?
I have a small lot 75' x 100' in the back of my 3 bay self serve wash. I thought of putting a few small storage units back there. I probably couldn't get many on a lot that small but $1000, - $1200, a month could mean better upgrades to the wash. The space would be tight and the traffic probably wouldn't effect the wash that much. I also thought of adding concrete pads and canopies for drying and detailing areas instead?
What are your thoughts and or experiences?
I haven't visited the storage unit section on the forum yet. That might be my next move for ideas.
Tim

MEP001

Reaction score
I would think storage units would make you more money than concrete pads and canopies, especially since you aren't in Texas.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
How many units can you get on a 75x100 lot? The larger units back here go for $70 a month. I'm guessing the size for the larger unit is about 16x30? Will the 75x100 also include access or is this the area just for the building?

MEP001

Reaction score
I considered some storage on property behind the wash, but city restrictions made it where it would have been very hard to make profitable. With parking I had room to go about 75 x 100 and planned on three stories. With many of them planned as small as closets, there would have been a lot of units.

Reaction score
I'm not sure how many I could actually get on site. A storage unit designer would know how to get the most out of the space. A 10 x 20 unit here is $97.+ tax and a 10 x 30 unit is $140.00 + tax. if I put 8 10x30 units straight across with nothing else it's $1,120. a month. If configured correctly there would be room for more. That would pay the water and electric bill for me and actually have a profit for a change. I would have to relocate my two vacuums. I just don't have the up front cash to make that move yet.

MEP001

Reaction score
Climate-controlled is the way to go around here. Build costs are only about 15% more, electric runs about $200 a month in the summer, and you can get 50% more for rent.

MudMoney

Reaction score
I bought 20 foot sea cans that were single use,look like new.My city codes allowed the units and are exempt from property taxes.

Brad0505

Reaction score
I currently own 122 self storage units and am looking at selling it and buy several ss car washes in the area

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Brad0505,

Since you have experience with both, I wonder how some operators would come out cost-wise if they felt a need to convert the bays into self storage units. That is if the ss car washes unexpectedly did not work out for whatever reason.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I bought 20 foot sea cans that were single use,look like new.My city codes allowed the units and are exempt from property taxes.
Just to give you a heads up, in our capitol city of neighboring north dakota ... bismarck ... the city commission responded to a whole bunch of complaints about shipping containers used as storage & now there are way fewer around our area. I don't know all the details & the full extent but the complainers appeared to eventually get their wishes.