What's new

Any Hamilton XE gurus?

Mohrenberg

Reaction score
Firstly, I have a Hamilton XE that is only 3 years old, and it's showing a "2." And "5" error, which is not in the manual anywhere.....

Second, I got pissed off and spent $900 on a new validator and hopper switch. So far the validator has gone out of service twice in 3 days. The bills are hanging out of the back (I got rid of the stacker since it's just another way for it to go out of service)

If it matters, I have the stacker plugs shorted as instructed when not using a stacker.

All dip switches on the XE validator are OFF except for the tokenotes switch. It set to reject.

Anyone know what 2.5 error code means?

And why are bills hanging out the back and causing my brand new validator to stop?

bert79

Reaction score
Many on this forum have used the XE and a lot still do. I have had 4 of them. They are finicky workhorses. For long periods of time (3-4) months I wouldn't have a single issue and then for the next 3-4 months, constant problems. I switched them out regularly and had them serviced by a Hamilton dealer regularly. I do not have them anymore. We have switched to the Hamilton Commander from an ACW4 and an option was to have it come with the CPI cashflow (new mars). That has had very few problems in the 4 months we have had it (knock on wood). I am unfamiliary with the 2.5 error code. If bills are hanging out of the back and getting stuck I would suggest making sure the thumbscrews aren't too tight. They need to be snug, finger tight, just not overtightened. I do recall having this problem, but not this error code. It seemed to happen most often in brand new validators. Once they are worked in a bit it stopped. WE got rid of our stacker too and I we had to make sure to empty the cash daily (sometimes twice) just in case the bills stacked on their own enough to block the smooth exit of a bill from the back of the validator. Just my two cents. I was advised to have at least two XE's (one in use and one on the shelf). Switch them out every few months so the belts get a workout. Also, have them serviced every 6 months to a year. That seemed to help us. I'm sure you will get more responses from much more experienced members.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
They are finicky workhorses. For long periods of time (3-4) months I wouldn't have a single issue and then for the next 3-4 months, constant problems. I switched them out regularly and had them serviced by a Hamilton dealer regularly.
lol, thats not how I define a workhorse. I've gone Months if not years and tens of thousands of dollars out of an MEI without so much as clearing a jam.

bert79

Reaction score
Yeah maybe a poor choice of words. Given the build quality of the ACW4 that we used to have and Commander that we have now I would have thought that Hamilton would have come up with a validator that was more reliable by now. The CPI cashflow validator that we have now has so far seemed far more reliable, but time will tell.

designflaw

Reaction score
Firstly, I have a Hamilton XE that is only 3 years old, and it's showing a "2." And "5" error, which is not in the manual anywhere.....

Second, I got pissed off and spent $900 on a new validator and hopper switch. So far the validator has gone out of service twice in 3 days. The bills are hanging out of the back (I got rid of the stacker since it's just another way for it to go out of service)

If it matters, I have the stacker plugs shorted as instructed when not using a stacker.

All dip switches on the XE validator are OFF except for the tokenotes switch. It set to reject.

Anyone know what 2.5 error code means?

And why are bills hanging out the back and causing my brand new validator to stop?
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem with a validator that is about 2 weeks old.

Randy

Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem with a validator that is about 2 weeks old.
The best thing you can do is to call Hamilton while it's still on warranty. 1-800-837-5561
I probably would have switched over to a Mars validator.

Last edited:

designflaw

Reaction score
The best thing you can do is to call Hamilton while it's still on warranty. 1-800-837-5561
I probably would have switched over to a Mars validator.
Thanks Randy. I let Kleen-rite know and hopefully, I can get it replaced (or returned). How easy is to switch over to Mars validator?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
lol, thats not how I define a workhorse. I've gone Months if not years and tens of thousands of dollars out of an MEI without so much as clearing a jam.
FWIW have 5 in operation. Might go years without an issue and when there is an issue - typically a jam with a bill that has serious issues - it's not a surprise that it happened.

114tc

Reaction score
I have had this happen a bunch and calibrating the side scans and optics works 90 percent of the time. I think the validators get banged around in shipping and throws off the calibrations. Its easy to calibrate them just google it or it is on hamilitons website.

Randy

Reaction score

Roz

Reaction score
It takes me about 20 - 30 minutes to do a switch.
The change to Mars is easy and well worth the cost. We switched our Goldlines and changers to Mars acceptors. No more bill jams.

Randy

Reaction score
The change to Mars is easy and well worth the cost. We switched our Goldlines and changers to Mars acceptors. No more bill jams.
It's pretty darn easy if you know what your doing. The Goldline ACW is really easy, you've got the studs on the back of the door and the 24 volt power is just below the display on the back of the door.

Etowah

Roz

Reaction score
when in doubt check YouTube for a good how to video. Swapping to Mars acceptors is something that be taught in under 3 min.

designflaw

Reaction score
when in doubt check YouTube for a good how to video. Swapping to Mars acceptors is something that be taught in under 3 min.
I wont lie, I could not find a single video on YouTube for it.

MEP001

Reaction score
It's not difficult enough to warrant a video. You can get kits from Hamilton or Etowah Valley. They both come with very clear instructions. With the Etowah Valley kit you remove the stacker, validator, unbolt the bracket and unplug the heater, install the new bracket, replace the chip in the controller, install the new bill acceptor, plug in the adaptor, plug the stacker bypass into the stacker harness plug, and program the bill acceptor with the coupon. It helps to have a second person to hold the screw heads while you tighten the nuts inside, but I can reach through with a finger and do it. The Hamilton kit isn't too different except the relay mounts inside the cabinet instead of sticking on with double-sided tape (I never mount the Etowah Valley box).

Roz

Reaction score
So I looked through my past emails. Hamilton tech support walked me through the process via the phone. It is really really easy. Not many parts and it all makes sense. Once you get the kit just call their tech support line as they are very helpful and patient.