What's new

Any advice on migraines in adolescents?

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
Does anyone have some experience and tips regarding the successful treatment of very severe migraine headaches in adolescents?

We have a friend whose 14 year old daughter is enduring really horrendous migraines. The episodes are becoming more frequent and ever more terribly debilitating --- including vomiting an transitory but total blindness.

The family immigrated from Bosnia and a really rough life there. They love this country and are so proud, happy and grateful to now be Americans. If they could "only" find some relief for this medical affliction, their American Dream would be realized. So if anyone has any insights into meds, treatments, and/or facilities --- please share. Thanks.

JJJ/SSCWN

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I have heard that in some cases migraines can be sometimes caused by food allergies, so is it possible that the western food is not agreeing with her. 15 yrs ago i was having them , and was told to quit all caffeine including chocolate, and in a couple weeks they disappeared. I guess I am sensitive to caffeine. Now the headaches come in the form of some carwash customers. I would start charting everything she eats, and also chart severity of the migraines during the day. This would really help out the doctors too i would suppose. At that age it could also be hormone imbalances, and problems from the period. Food is also the one of the reasons people have problems sleeping. Now i googled it and the sysmptoms look like sensitivity to light- read this

http://www.neckandheadacherelief.com/content/migraines.asp

MEP001

Reaction score
FWIW, I noticed that I'd have a headache the next day after eating at Quizno's, every time. I realized it began when I started getting a SoBe sugar-free grapefruit-cranberry drink with my food. The last two times I went there I didn't get the drink and didn't have a headache the next day. These headaches I get are bad, not migrane-bad where my vision is affected but just as debilitating. Charting my food intake, making note of the things I suspect might cause them and avoiding them has just about eliminated them. My doctor was absolutely no help at all.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I'd also think that a MRI, or CAT scan needs to make sure there isn't clot or something, a friend of mine had migraines and they didn't look into things and a week or so later she had a stroke, with real damages.

Louise

Reaction score
I know this is really basic, but dehydration can cause really bad headaches or turn a bad headache into a migrane.

Also, I had migranes when I was a teenager and into my twenties. Finally realized that once a headache started I had to stop what I was doing and take a Tylenol immediately or it would get worse and end in vomiting.

What part of the country is she in?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
My stepdaughter had them almost non-stop when she was around 13 years old. We spent the better part of a year in and out of the hospital in SW Indiana. They sent her to Barnes in St. Louis where we also struck out. A few months (and hospital stays) later they suggested we take her to Vanderbilt in Nashville, TN or the Mayo clinic. We ended up taking her to Mayo where they discovered a rare condition that her arterys or veins (don't remember which) in her neck were underdeveloped compared to the rest of her body (about 5'7" 140 lbs. at age 13). When she exerted herself her heart would basically force blood through the restricted vessels and pretty much blow the top of her head off. They treated her with meds and she eventually grew out of it.

Diana

Reaction score
My daughter's migraines stopped after a simple eye exam and corrective lenses.

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
THANK YOU all for the timely and helpful input!

Louise, we are in West Michigan (Grand Rapids).

Pat, your info really, REALLY got everyone's attention here. Our friend's daughter is virtually IDENTICAL to your daughter's age/height/weight! Her parents are not putting all their eggs in that "too much growth too soon" basket. It is something that none of their doctors had suggested as a possible problem, but it is certainly a factor that demands serious consideration and specific testing.

Again, much thanks.

JJJ