What's new

An Ounce of Prevention

Chiefs

Reaction score
As an exterior only/ride through wash and with the busy season upon us in full swing, the vexing problem of getting getting seasonal customers in addition to your regulars always poses the hazards of people not following directions. Either putting a foot on the brake, inadvertently turning the wheel, having low front tires and/or vehicles out of alignment, etc. This inevtably leads to the problem of cars jumping rollers and bumping the vehicle behind them or in the worst cases, jumping the track itself.

Now we all have signs that tell people Neitral, foot of brake and hands off wheel. I have even gone to the extent of having three additional signs throughout the tunnel telling to people to "Honk if they experience a problem and reminding them in words and pictures to keep it in neutral, etc., etc. Despite these reminders, the problems still persist with few people ever honking their horn.

Well, now we've taken the next step and it is helping to not only avoid accidents but also limit the headaches that go along with them.

What we now do is give every customer a handout that reads

"WARNING
IF YOUR CAR STOPS MOVING BEFORE THE END OF THE CAR WASH
HONK YOUR HORN IMMEDIATELY!
YES, THIS MEANS YOU!
IF YOU DO NOT, WE WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY
VEHICLE DAMAGE THAT MAY RESULT.
STAY IN NEUTRAL - FEET OFF BRAKE - DO NOT TURN WHEEL AT ALL"

It costs us 0.5 cents per car and has thus far averted at least a couple dozen accidents/ cars bumping and possible vehicle and equipment damage to two vehicles that jumped the track.

I intend to hand this out to every vehicle we wash no matter how regular the customer is or isn't FOREVER! I highly recommend that any exterior wash that leaves the customer in the car follow suit. Its well worth every 1/2 cent.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't other tunnel washes accomplish this goal without use of a handout?

If you were to continue the use of a handout, why not make it more of a marketing tool rather than a straight 'liability reducer' or 'throughput enhancer'??

Couldn't the person handing the customer the paper just as easily communicate your 'cautions' verbally?

If I were you, I'd look to the big boys in the conveyorized carwash game and copy whatever they do. Maybe it's a scrolling l.e.d. sign, verbal instructions, etc.

I am a SS/IBA guy, so what do I know, but to me a handout seems wasteful on several levels and as a regular customer I'd get pretty sick of being handed one after 3X thru the wash. Many customers may feel you are insulting their intelligence with the 'every customer every time' policy.

Let me put it another way; you're selling them a clean car and littering up their interior at the same time. Seems contrary to your goals in a way, doesn't it? Just one guy's opinion, fwiw.

DoubleEagle

Reaction score
An ounce of prevention

As an owner of a exterior wash I can't agree more with Chiefs. We have signage, communicate with every customer verbally as they enter our tunnel and we still have people jumping rollers or worse yet jumping off track! More times than not I have this problem right at sendoff, I can't count the times in a day that people either leave it in park or have their foot on the brake and jump the first roller. And this is just after we say to them foot off the brake, don't steer and car in neutral. The ones that happen in the wash I believe is from panic. They enter the wraps or mitters and slam on the brakes. Or if they feel our rockers on their car they start steering the car in the tunnel. The best ones are the ones that drive through tunnel! Then wonder why their car didn't get washed! The bad ones are the ones on their cell phones as they enter our wash, we ask them politely to listen to us and we get dirty looks for interrupting their call. Some days you just can't win. I think what Chiefs proposed is very proactive.

Chiefs

Reaction score
Waxman -
No offense, but obviously you have never operated a conveyor wash or dealt with the verbally challenged employees we deal with.

As far as customers feeling insulted by getting this handout every time, I can tell you from experience that no matter how many times people go through a car wash and no matter how many signs you have (I have 4) you will still have a regular customer doing stupid things - hence the reason why I have 5 cameras in the tunnel too. I've had club card (monthly pass) customers get on the conveyor and put it park, keep their foot on the brake and jump the first roller etc.

I see nothing wrong with it as the first time you don't and there is a problem you will get into the age old he said she said argument about what the attendant did or did not tell them. By using this handout, there can be no excuses on the part of the customer.

I don't care whether you operate just one exterior tunnel or 50 like the "big boys", 1/2 a cent to prevent a four car pile up in the tunnel or prevent vehicle and equipment damage when (not if) a customer turns the wheel and jumps the track, is well worth the cost of printing for the safety of the customer, their vehicle, your sanity and avoiding having to send customers to the local body shop for bumper repairs.

Again, no offense, but when you respond to a post maybe it should not be with zero experience under your belt. Feel free to come and walk in my mocassins, then you'll understand why we've taken this step.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, glad you've got it figured out. I know damage claims stink and I can't imagine how many you tunnel guys have to deal with.

I was merely offering a point of view other than that of a conveyorized carwash owner. To be precise, your post didn't really ask anything, so what's the harm in me offering a point of view that doesn't happen to agree with yours? I have taken cars thru conveyorized carwashes, after all.

Thanks, but for now the IBA/SS moccasins are big enough!:D

Last edited:

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
An Intelligent Alternative

An intelligent alternative:

http://www.moderncarcare.com/articles/flat-belt-conveyor-alternative-carwash-system.html

Some exterior carwash operators with an attendant facilitating the loading process make the mistake of processing with a "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" quickness that almost increases nervousness among some drivers. All too often, operators fail to put themselves in their customers' shoes... and that level of indifference may create a counterproductive atmosphere. :eek:

Now you seek to issue a disclaimer which may further compound the issue of calmness. Yet the objective is to create a ple3asant buying experience. Seems like the disclaimer action is a contradiction in what should be a risk-free perception.:eek:

variable

Reaction score
Chiefs,
You don't give many details regarding your specific wash...

Running a small conveyor, which is staffed, our problems are minimal.

We have our issues, but 99.9% of our roller jumping occurs right after the car is shipped/programmed.

We routinely run 50+ cars per hour, spaced 3-4' apart with no issues. No signs, no handouts. Just instructions from the attendant and/or service advisor.

IMO, in the same time you spend handing this flyer to customers, you could simply inform them. It works fine for us.

From an equipment aspect, is your conveyor front-wheel pull? Do you have the proper tension in your chain? Is the speed set appropriately?

FWIW, I'd prefer to eliminate that .5 cent flyer from my cost per car.

Chiefs

Reaction score
Fair enough. We have a 150 tunnel and routinely run 1,000-1,200 cars on a busy day. All four of our attendants on a day like that are at the entrance. And yes, we have enough problems at the entrance with people putting their vehicle into park instead of neutral and/or not taking their foot off the brake. That's easy to correct. Invariably however, for whatever reason whether they are wiping their dashboard or tending to the kids in the back seat or whatever the reason, customers simply do stupid things inadvertently which have significant and negative consequences while their vehicle travels through the tunnel.

We began the handouts last week because verbal instructions and four separate signs (two at the entrance and two more in the wash process) simply did not make things idot proof enough. Now the only problem I have is for those few customers who are simply illiterate. But the results in the first week have been stellar. Since last Thursday days we have washed over 3,500 cars and have heard numerous horns, prevented all potential accidents due to jumped rollers including two that jumped the track. Those all represented bumpers that didn't get scratched and equipment that didn't get damaged, and no one sent to the local body shop I use. If their anxiety level and spidey senses have been alerted, then all the better. Just as a doctor wants a paitient to be involved in his or her care, so do I want customers to be aware that their vehicle should not stop moving for any reason until it reaches then end of the tunnel and it is their responsibility to alert us if it does.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
A couple of thoughts. Mr. Okun promotes the flat belt as a way to solve the problem with the Nimrods. I think it will oslve some but perhaps create others.

If the idiot keeps the car in drive or puts it in reverse you still have a problem. Even in neutral it may not stay in the same spot. Then they have to remeber to put it in drive at the end and not stay on the brakes. Faster because you don't "Wait for the roller" The ones I see still need a loading system. Either a sepertate loaunching belt which is the same as alunchng with a roller up. Or the customer has to figure it out.

Bill I understand the horn thing, Many of my customers Honk if the conveyor stops for more than 5 seconds which happens when we have a loading issue. Are you finding that this happens?

I can see Bill's system helping. Can't help but wonder why they are smart enough to understand the flyer, but not the signs. Perhaps it is easier to ignore signs.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Chiefs,

We routinely run 50+ cars per hour, spaced 3-4' apart with no issues. No signs, no handouts. Just instructions from the attendant and/or service advisor.

I assume you don't have wrap around brushes? 4' would most be enough room for most wraps to get between the cars.

You are operating in a different world. With Bill's numbers he is at a production speed of 100+ and maybe even 150+ CPH production which means at least double and perhaps triple the chain speed.

In round numbers a car + space = 30 feet. You average 1 per minute or 60 CPH chain speed. Actual production would be less. Thats half a foot per sec. For 120 CPH you close the gap in half the time, and if you produce 150 CPH you are probably running a chain speed of 180 CPH and closing the gap in 1/3 the time.

Chiefs

Reaction score
I simply offered this idea of the handout as a way to help other exterior operators avoid some of the headaches associated with stupid customer tricks. Signs are not enough. As most of you already know, people tend not to read signs and thus it forces the customer to be attentive, notice and read the sign - most don't. This handout puts it in their face front and center. Baed on the very apparent success so far, I intend to hand these flyers out to every customer whether its their first time through the wash or 100th time through. Its the same reason why the attendant always tells the customer "neutral, foot off the brake." I'd rather them be offended than have them inadvertently do something stupid. Even computers get brain cramps and need to be re-booted. The handout simply does that for the customer's computer - i.e. brain.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Bill,

Any thoughts of adding to the idea. Like a message Saying "Thanks for coming to ...... see you soon."

Perhaps ending on a positive note as a nice reminder.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
The handout if it prevents one problem a year would seem worth it. With the quality of drivers out there its amazing you don't have more problems. The people that feel confused, distracted, or claustrophobic, even if one a week could cause you alot of trouble. What about the people that are TEXTing while washing.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bill,

Any thoughts of adding to the idea. Like a message Saying "Thanks for coming to ...... see you soon."

Perhaps ending on a positive note as a nice reminder.
Yeah, that's what another guy suggested!:rolleyes:

I would seek to capitalize on the handout; change it up frequently; colors, change the message, put a puzzle on it for the kiddos, your logo, mascot, specials, grace for vets info, etc.

You get the idea; make the most of your handout and get more bang for your buck!!:cool:

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I'm wondering why this is costing .05 cents. I think the idea is ok, but I'd look at making it cheaper. Maybe adding a coupon on the back or something, that would be positive and a reason to come back.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Completely Understand

Bill P,

I think its .005 cents per sheet, not .05.

Bill C,

I completely understand your frustration. My only suggestion as stated above would be to make it somehow more customer friendly in the wording.

Have you seen those shirts that say "Neutral", "No Brakes", "No Steering" or maybe a Shirt that says "Honk, If you Need Help"! Not sure if they work, but maybe employees with a big old message on the front of them might help as well.

John Moran

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Tee Shirt Billboard!

Great suggestion, John!

TEE SHIRT BILLBOARDS are effective ways to communicate, when done properly. ;) Direct, to-the-point, short & sweet. I've used them with good success... but the operator must be vigilant in exchanging dull, faded or washer-worn screening with a fresh replacements for maximum impact.
Cold-weather suggestion is to screen a fluorescent-colored highway safety vest for over-wear.

Another tip: Use a headset microphone and loudspeaker in the loading area to guarantee that customers actually hear the instructions... and be sure to choose an employee that enunciates well. The speaker system eliminates the need to shout. Courteous communication is a must because everyone may hear the comments.:eek:

JK Xpress

Reaction score
A loudspeaker?!? On the days that a facility processes 1000+ cars most know that it is non-stop for about 8 to 9 hours. That is 8 or 9 hours that the blowers are on non-stop. How loud to you jack the loudspeaker?

Most operators have a flashing Instructional Sign (I do) plus who ever is loading (at least at my place) tells all customers 1) Neutral 2) Foot of the Brake and 3) Hands off Wheel as they point to the Instructional Sign..... all in an attempt to make the place idiot proof. Yet you have multiple yahoos popping rollers. Loader repeats steps 1 -3 allbeit louder, yet same thing happens another popped roller. If the 3rd roller pops we shut down line........ to point out that they are not in Neutral rather they are in Reverse, Park or have foot on brake.

Working at/ Running a very busy SS is nothing like working at/ running a very busy Tunnel.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Have seen places with loudspekers. It is noisy at the entrance. But the speakers are LOUD.

Chiefs

Reaction score
My attendants are on line 12 hours a day. On a 1,000 car day they have to hear, neutral, feet off brake, hands off wheel loud enough for customers to hear. They'd quit or go deaf.With all the noise in the tunnel, It's better the attendant stick there head up to the window and speak.

People putting the car in park, keeping feet on the brake at the entrance is easy to correct. The problem comes when they do it going through the wash 80-100' down the line. The attendant only knows there is a problem if the customer honks their horn. As in most purchases made by any consumer informing them about their safety is of pramount importance. BTW Caveat Emptor means "Buyer Beware". I'd rather hear horns honking than customers sitting like lemmings and have a four car pile-up before the attendants finally realize a problem. I'll take that trade-off everyday. Again, it does not matter if its a customer going through for the first time or the 101st time. All customers are capable of stupid moments. This is partcularly true when "trapped" in your car in a mechanized car wash, and have to put the vehicle in neutral, take your foot off the brake and keep your hands on the wheel while the vehicle is moving. Can anyone of you think of any other scenarion that ask you to do all of these things while the vehicle is moving? It is simply not natural. In an exterior wash, except for the conveyor moving the vehicle, the customer essentially has care custody and control over their vehicle. If they do not violate any of the instructions that you've given verbally, in signage, and now in my handouts, nothing happens except they get a clean, dry, shiny vehicle to drive away in. Violate any one of those instructions or 2 or all 3 and you end up with a cluster^%!. If they don't like how we do things then they can go elsewhere and try another car wash or even better, give me $2.5 million in cash and I'll give them the keys and the headaches that go with it. then its there problem to deal with.