What's new

An easy one for you.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
My dad recently side-swiped another vehicle, striking only the mirror. The transfer of rubber/plastic backing on the mirror left a stripe all the way down the side of his Ford Explorer. It didn't damage the paint at all, we just need to know how to get the mark off.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Easy

A little lacquer thinner is the easiest way or other solvent (mineral spirits). Make sure to re-wax area, as you will strip any wax or sealant off.

soapy

Reaction score
Try a product made by meguiars called Scratch X or Ultimate X. It is a light rubbing compound that will generally take off these marks. I used it on my neices Jeep that had hit a plastic fence and it came right off. If you have access to buffers and and paint compounds they will also work.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've found that cheap car waxes have a light amount of abrasive to help cut oxidation and remove scratches. It also works to remove some traded paint marks.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I try and tackle paint transfers and rubber -type scuffs in the wash bay. Wash the area first, then try some nice strong alkaline cleaner. Let it dwell 30 sec. and power wash. Mineral spirits if that doesn't work. Often I've had good luck combining some 'spirits and medium-cut compound on a towel and rubbing the paint or rubber transfer with that. With this method some buffing will be necessary to polish the area afterward.

I've had success with Easy Off Original oven cleaner, too, for paint transfers. But if you choose this product, PM me so I can tell you how to avoid the pitfalls associated with using oven cleaner!:eek:

buda

Reaction score
My dad recently side-swiped another vehicle, striking only the mirror. The transfer of rubber/plastic backing on the mirror left a stripe all the way down the side of his Ford Explorer. It didn't damage the paint at all, we just need to know how to get the mark off.
The soundest advise is laquer thinner. Rubber/plastic is petroleum based and it will breakdown with a thinner like laquer thinner or even better, 3M Adhesive Remover.

Water-based alkaline chemicals do not usually breakdown rubber and plastic.

Easy-Off Oven Cleaner will work if it is used from an aerosol can because it is the propellant in the aerosol that is removing the material not the EZ Off which is a very high pH caustic alkaline cleaner.

Regards

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just be careful using laquer thinner on paint. Things like leaving a thinner-soaked rag on a finish can cause damage.

Mineral spirits cuts well and I think is a safer alternative to laquer thinner when combined on a rag with some rubbing compound.

Etowah