What's new

AMS vendor - Comm Error

Eric H

Reaction score
Discovered my AMS vendor was out of service. Display says “Communication Error”. Service manual says to check the MDB connections. Did that but no change.
of course AMS tech support closed for the weekend 20 minutes ago.
Anyone know what my problem could possibly be?
Bill validator is blinking twice which indicates “disabled for system”
MEI coin dispenser has no power. Disconnecting the coin dispenser does not change the “Communication Error”.
I’d like to have a get parts ordered before Monday possible. I don’t want this machine out of service waiting for parts until next Friday

HeyVern

Reaction score
You could try Rain Tunnel, don't know if they'll answer on the weekend but, they were great when I had trouble with my vendor

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I have two pop machines that have Mei coin dispencer and Mei bill validator...I've had the same "Communication Error" issue, but the message is displayed in the coin dispencer window...If you unplugged the dispencer, where is the error displayed? When I get this, I've either got a weak or dead "SnapHat" battery on the main board or the coin dispenser has gone bad and needed replaced. You could also remove the battery from the board and see if the board resets and or check voltage of the battery, it should be 3.3v....Google search "SnapHat" battery so you can see how to check the voltage. Its not just a small round watch battery...Or at least thats the battery in my boards...I've had all kinds of weird stuff happen when the battery voltage is less than 3.0v....

snaphat.JPG

Eric H

Reaction score
The “communications error” is displayed on the screen above the keypad on the door to the vendor, NOT the MEI screen.
Thanks for the information, I’ll look into it more on Monday

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
BTW...I learned early on that the program for just about any type of vendor is hard coded in the chipset.. The eprom stores user set parameters...Sometimes the eprom will get corrupt causing all kinds of issues...Taking the battery out will clear the eprom but you will have to reset all pricing etc...Removing the battery always has worked for me once I figured it out.