What's new

Am I Crazy to Add a Dog Wash?

Starr Wash

Reaction score
Thinking about adding a dog wash station to the old touch-less bay. It was gutted by the previous owner. I keep seeing people wanting to sell them for lack of business so I dont know if a carwash is the place to put it.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I have one. It came with the wash. I average about 6 dogs per day at an average of $11.50/wash. It's a PITA to keep the place clean. You basically need constant attendance to keep it clean. It needs to be cleaned after each wash if you are wanting customers t want to return. Just my $.02

I wouldn't expect much if you aren't planning on having someone clean it between customers.

Starr Wash

Reaction score
I have one. It came with the wash. I average about 6 dogs per day at an average of $11.50/wash. It's a PITA to keep the place clean. You basically need constant attendance to keep it clean. It needs to be cleaned after each wash if you are wanting customers t want to return. Just my $.02

I wouldn't expect much if you aren't planning on having someone clean it between customers.
Thanks! Just weighing my options at this point. Trying to come up with a way to make some money on the empty bay. We are rarely busy enough to justify turning it into another self serve.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I've seen an older 3+1 where the auto bay was converted over to a seating area and they leased space to a BBQ trailer. Seems busy

Starr Wash

Reaction score
I've seen an older 3+1 where the auto bay was converted over to a seating area and they leased space to a BBQ trailer. Seems busy
Thats a great idea! This place is 3 blocks from the high school and I happen to own a hot dog cart

Randy

Reaction score
"Am I crazy to add a dog wash" I would have say Yes! There used to be a number of them around here, I think there might be one left. Most of them smelled so bad you couldn't stand be inside. I think I'd lease the bay out to a auto detailer.

MEP001

Reaction score

The guys around here that have had success with a dog wash do check on it several times a day and keep it clean. One that's very successful gives lots of time and has a tub disinfectant option with signage to rinse down the tub when you're done and to disinfect before you wash. It's a fairly simple system with both a pet vac and dryer. He says he makes more from the pet wash than any of the SS bays.

I've operated a car inspection bay in an empty auto bay. I had plenty of spare time to keep the wash spotless during the day, and the inspections just paid my salary. The car wash income doubled over the two years I was there, not bad for a basically free full time attendant.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thinking about adding a dog wash station to the old touch-less bay. It was gutted by the previous owner. I keep seeing people wanting to sell them for lack of business so I dont know if a carwash is the place to put it.
Yes it's a crazy idea to adda a dog wash.

I researched this and determined the self service wash bay setup is much more profitable and lower maintenance.

Starr Wash

Reaction score
The guys around here that have had success with a dog wash do check on it several times a day and keep it clean. One that's very successful gives lots of time and has a tub disinfectant option with signage to rinse down the tub when you're done and to disinfect before you wash. It's a fairly simple system with both a pet vac and dryer. He says he makes more from the pet wash than any of the SS bays.

I've operated a car inspection bay in an empty auto bay. I had plenty of spare time to keep the wash spotless during the day, and the inspections just paid my salary. The car wash income doubled over the two years I was there, not bad for a basically free full time attendant.
Great info! Thank you!
Right now I am trying to put something together to justify a full time attendant for 5 days a week. I may offer part of the space to a dog groomer for a great rate if they service the pet station so that would be covered for me. We could work a deal on the wash rate for their clients. The other part could be used as a food truck (or even my own hot dog cart) waiting room.
In addition to the extra income from the waiting room rental and the dog wash station, I would expect that having these two other businesses would help bring additional revenue to the carwash itself.
Yes it's a crazy idea to adda a dog wash.

I researched this and determined the self service wash bay setup is much more profitable and lower maintenance.
The problem is the traffic at this location rarely has the other three bays full. It looks like the only way to have a dog wash is with a full time attendant.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I dont know your area or situation, but I would look to find a used automatic. Washworld HV, Laser 4000. You can find machines for under 30k add 10k for installation. Even a weak performing auto doing 8-10k washes per year is going to bring in more $ then a dog wash, a rental bay, or turning bay into a self serve.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Just my opinion....I wouldn't put in a self serve dog wash unless you were going to have it attended the entire time it was open and close it when no attendant is onsite. People who keep their dogs clean will also want to have a clean facility to use. A dirty, unkept dog facility will only attract those type of dog owners who could care less about your place and you'll find all sorts of easter eggs in it. Then you'll wish you never started it. Another option would be to build it out and lease the space to a dog washer/groomer.

SparklesSS

Reaction score
I dont know your area or situation, but I would look to find a used automatic. Washworld HV, Laser 4000. You can find machines for under 30k add 10k for installation. Even a weak performing auto doing 8-10k washes per year is going to bring in more $ then a dog wash, a rental bay, or turning bay into a self serve.
Really? There are used IBA's for under 30k out there? How old?

OurTown

Reaction score

Yes and they might be older but some are low wash count machines. Talk to a local distributor to see if they are willing to install a used one. Sometimes they know of owners wanting to sell their old machines for various reasons. If you replace the things that the customer sees (decals, covers, etc...) it can appear to some customers that you put in a new machine. I would say to allow some money to go over the whole machine and replace anything that looks iffy. You do not want to put in a machine and it be broken down all the time right off the bat.

washnshine

Reaction score
Check car wash consignment. Not saying you will buy from them, but you can get an idea of what is out there and what condition it is in and what people will sell it for. I’d personally want to see a machine, but it is a starting point.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I have done 2 rehabs. Put in Washworld High Velocity machines in both. Machines were gone over, new prox's and prox cables. Spent about 35k installed at both locations. If you get decent machines that are stainless, everything on them is repairable. Not sure where your located, but I could put you in touch with someone.

Starr Wash

Reaction score
That would be great! I'm in Eau Claire WI

Starr Wash

Reaction score
Just my opinion....I wouldn't put in a self serve dog wash unless you were going to have it attended the entire time it was open and close it when no attendant is onsite. People who keep their dogs clean will also want to have a clean facility to use. A dirty, unkept dog facility will only attract those type of dog owners who could care less about your place and you'll find all sorts of easter eggs in it. Then you'll wish you never started it. Another option would be to build it out and lease the space to a dog washer/groomer.
Thanks! Have a couple of calls out for that option.