What's new

Alarm 1 - no motion detected Check for obstruction on gantry track

thequickwash

Reaction score
I have a WW2.0 that starts putting presoak on the vehicle, but before it even gets to the front wheel it stops, doesn't go home, and tells the customer to exit (scolling sign & buzzer). The control panel has an error message alarm 1 that says: no motion detected Check for obstruction on gantry track. The wheel prox switches all seem to be working fine. It has done this erratically over the past couple of weeks, but now does it every car. Wheel test is ok. In manual mode goes up and down the track fine. Any suggestions about what to look for? Could a bad eye be causing this or bad drive motor?

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I would check:
1. prox switch input for counting wheel at the input card (not the prox itself)
2. output relay on output card that tells VFD to drive forward at each speed (swap with a different relay possibly)
3. possible divot in track where machine is getting stuck (maybe in manual mode you are coasting through it)
4. gantry drive motor (you should get the VFD to stick in error mode though)
5. rail anchors clear of machine frame

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
If you are observing the machine moving and it appears to be moving fine at at the time of the error I would suspect bad prox switches, cables, or input cards. If you can tell if the machine is actually slowing or getting stuck while traveling look elsewhere in the good list that JGinther gives.

Also, I have had problems in the past with turk prox switches staying on when it gets down around freezing.

If I have a difficult to find problem related to gantry travel I will change the slow speed on the VFD to 70, which makes the track test happen at a fast speed. Some problems with prox switches or their placement (spacing from the count wheel) may reveal themselves at a faster speed.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
The first thing I would look at are the prox switches at home /end of track, and also the cables.

Reds

Reaction score
I would do several wheel counts and then check my home prox and end of track prox.

Reaction score
Ours did the same thing a long time ago. What does the error message say, if no error go to the alarms that do not erase and see what the last alarm was.

thequickwash

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice guys! It was the home prox that was faulty it was staying 'on'. On another note, do any of you keep a list of solutions for alarms? Thanks again!

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Its good to hear its fixed. However, I am baffled on how you were able to get the machine to go up and down the rails in manual mode with the home prox on...?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Its good to hear its fixed. However, I am baffled on how you were able to get the machine to go up and down the rails in manual mode with the home prox on...?
I've had intermittent failure with turk prox switches when they got cold- right around freezing. Of course, I would never work on a machine when it was that cold first thing in the morning. By the time I got to working on it it would warm up and the prox would start working fine again. That problem drove me friggin nuts.