What's new

Alamo/Fleck Softener Meter replacement

bigjws

Reaction score
The meter in my water softener has gone out, and through searches here it looks like MEP and a few others have a good bit of experience with these. Anything I should wary of when replacing the meter? Of course, it's an old softener, model #'s are gone -- I assume it's a Fleck 9000 when ordering parts?

Alamo water softener 2.jpg Alamo water softener 1.jpg

MEP001

Reaction score
It looks like 1 1/2" plumbing, which would be a 9500. That's an extended range meter. You can replace it with the poly meter which is a lot cheaper, just be sure to replace the impeller too. Nothing serious to be wary of, just turn off the water supply and either open a valve downstream to relieve the pressure or put the unit into a cycle, and make sure you pull out the old o-ring if it doesn't come out with the meter. I've replaced a brand new meter after someone doubled up on the o-rings.

mac

Reaction score
You might want to reconsider the size of the softener. Many washes used soft water for everything. We have been using it for chemical mixing and RO water only with good results. That lets you use a much smaller softener and a lot less salt.

Etowah