What's new

Air Shammees for self serve

packerscw

Reaction score
Looking to try a Air shammee dryer for one of the bays. looking for a little feedback on what people think of them? Do they get used? What are some problems people have had? And if you think that it is worth it to install. Thanks in advance

MEP001

Reaction score
I.B. is right - if you had a method to ensure that the high-pressure pump and the dryers never come on at the same time, and you run the dryers at 220V, you wouldn't use more overall amperage. You might only need to add a sub box for the breakers. When I was a distributor we had a customer who changed his mind about installing an auto because the city wanted $30,000 to pull new power to his wash for the demand of an auto and a dryer together, but said the supply was enough for an auto alone. He wouldn't install the auto without the dryer. I told the guy with the city that the auto and the dryer would never be on at the same time, and he said "Then just add another box and you're fine."

If your wash is 208 with no high leg and all three legs a useable 120V, you should be able to run dryers off the existing breakers for the pump as long as the pump and dryers can't run at the same time. If I add in-bay dryers, that's how I intend to do it.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but how could the high-pressure pump and the dryer be on at the same time in a self serve bay?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something, but how could the high-pressure pump and the dryer be on at the same time in a self serve bay?
Some of them are self contained with their own coin/bill acceptor, normally somewhere else at the wash and not in a bay. If one of those were in a bay and not tied in with the other bay services they could both be on at the same time. I have two of them near a vac island. No problems at all, since no one uses them :(

MEP001

Reaction score
Fatboy769 said:
My point was that an electrician might treat it as an added load and not understand that it won't be on at the same time as the bay pump if it's an additional service on the bay selector. Ideally it won't add to the overall draw from the main and shouldn't require more amps than already supplied.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Looking to try a Air shammee dryer for one of the bays. looking for a little feedback on what people think of them? Do they get used? What are some problems people have had? And if you think that it is worth it to install. Thanks in advance
While on the subject of in bay blow drys ... has anyone compared the sheer air velocity of the 2 brands out there? During my last week's trip to Houston I checked out both brands ... I am not sure ... but I thought the Doyle Car Dry had more velocity. Any comments? I know there are other factors such as the cost of the replacement specific motors etc.

We still have our original 1987 Specialty Equipment blow drys with the 3 smaller vac style real low height motors. Based on the velocity & effectiveness of the 2 newer models, I will update but have not finalized which brand. I am sure there are pluses & minuses for both. I have not finalized whether I would gain enough with the Mosmatic Z booms either which I was dissappointed that I could not get an address for any Z boom car washes in Houston to check them out with a tryout on the rental car I was using.

mike

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I.B. is right - if you had a method to ensure that the high-pressure pump and the dryers never come on at the same time, and you run the dryers at 220V, you wouldn't use more overall amperage. You might only need to add a sub box for the breakers. When I was a distributor we had a customer who changed his mind about installing an auto because the city wanted $30,000 to pull new power to his wash for the demand of an auto and a dryer together, but said the supply was enough for an auto alone. He wouldn't install the auto without the dryer. I told the guy with the city that the auto and the dryer would never be on at the same time, and he said "Then just add another box and you're fine."

If your wash is 208 with no high leg and all three legs a useable 120V, you should be able to run dryers off the existing breakers for the pump as long as the pump and dryers can't run at the same time. If I add in-bay dryers, that's how I intend to do it.
So based on this theory, I could also add more dryers to my IBA using the same logic? What type of electical components would I need to set this up? This would open a lot of things for me to be able to add some additional options in my bays and IBA.

slash007

Reaction score
I added 11 air shamee's last year, 6 at one wash and 5 at another and they have been great. At one wash they get used very much while at the slower wash usage is about half, but I've received many compliments from people that love it and are glad that it is an option.

madscientist

Reaction score
Some of them are self contained with their own coin/bill acceptor, normally somewhere else at the wash and not in a bay. If one of those were in a bay and not tied in with the other bay services they could both be on at the same time. I have two of them near a vac island. No problems at all, since no one uses them :(
Now that's funny!

MEP001

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore said:
So based on this theory, I could also add more dryers to my IBA using the same logic? What type of electical components would I need to set this up? This would open a lot of things for me to be able to add some additional options in my bays and IBA.
The machine I mentioned had an on-board dryer, so there would never be someone pulling into the auto bay to turn on the undercarriage while the dryer was still going. If I had to do something similar with the Vector and its standalone dryer at the bay exit, I'd have to see what could be done with the machine's settings or programming to make sure the next wash start would wait until the dryer cycle ended. I'm pretty sure it could be done with a programmable relay if necessary.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
If I understand this correctly, I just need a junction box of sorts that I can split the feed line between the 2 different feeds I need. Does that make sense?

MEP001

Reaction score
I.B. Washincars said:
I would think it could be done with just any basic NC relay. If the dryer is running the relay is energized and opens the 24V circuit to the HP pump contactor.
I was thinking it would be more complicated than that. You're talking about just inhibiting the undercarriage, I was thinking about delaying the wash start itself. The way the Vector is set up, a few seconds after the dryer comes on, the next wash is enabled and the "ENTER" light comes on. I would use a programmable relay to hold the ACW inhibit pulse and keep the "WAIT" light on until the dryer is done.

packerscw

Reaction score
I added 11 air shamee's last year, 6 at one wash and 5 at another and they have been great. At one wash they get used very much while at the slower wash usage is about half, but I've received many compliments from people that love it and are glad that it is an option.
how quickly did u see your payback at your busy car wash?

slash007

Reaction score
how quickly did u see your payback at your busy car wash?
I put in counters on all Air Shamees so that I could monitor usage and so far I have beetween 26-40 hours on them depending on the bay. I figured that at 55 hours each one would have paid for itself, so after six months I am more than half way there. By the one year mark I figure that all six would have paid for themselves and started making a profit.

SuperClean

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the je adams hot air dryer in action. I was wondering if the hot air actually drys much better the air shamee