What's new

Air manifold/station?

Etowah

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Have any of you ever taken the time to build out an "air station" in your equipment room? It's probably overkill, but I'm thinking about re-plumbing some air lines and thought I'd do something that some of you may feel is unnecessary over-engineering.

I was thinking of running from my air dryer into a manifold that has enough ports (plus a couple) to run to all my individual air pumps and solenoids so I can better control the air pressure to each of them. Right now, I run them all at the same pressure. For example, might want to run my foam brush floret at 60psi and the air for mixing at 50psi. Right now I cannot do that.

If you've built an air station, would you mind posting some pics of it?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Here is the one I made. The top row goes to my FB, PS, and Tri-Foam...The ones on the bottom row control the blowdown-washer fluid injection system...Then I have a spare to plug into when needed...

Last edited:

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I'm wondering if I couldn't just use pvc pipe to create one? 1/2" or better pipe should be able to sufficiently withstand the pressure, as the supply will be 100-120psi.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I tried using the dark grey schedule 80 threaded fittings and nipples at first. About a week after I installed it, one of the fittings cracked and was leaking air to where the compressor was barely keeping up. So I ripped it all out and used brass and SS fittings. I used the SS Tee's because I got them cheap....If you use the PVC, just don't tighten the fittings enough to crack them. I thought I was good, but took a week for it to fail. I usually learn the hard way!

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I tried to use PVC for my air manifold and piping when I remodeled a few years ago. It just didn't hold up well. Too many cracks and leaks. I ripped it all out and replaced with black pipe.

Etowah

Jeff_L

Reaction score
2Biz - is that 1/2" pipe and fittings or 3/8"? Filter and regulators look like central pneumatic?

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
Not exactly what you are talking about.... but individual regulator on solenoid and pumps. You can also make anything out of pvc.... but if you use it for air I would use a relief valve. If you hit the pvc or use to much pressure and it beaks that's bad?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
2Biz - is that 1/2" pipe and fittings or 3/8"? Filter and regulators look like central pneumatic?
It's 1/2" pipe and fittings reduced down to 1/4" for each individual regulator...The filter/regulator/separator is a Harbor Freight Central Pneumatics...So far it hasn't give me any problems. The individual regulators/gauges I bought at the local Car Quest Car Parts Store. The gauge and regulator is less than $10 bucks. I haven't had to replace one yet....

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Here is a video of the tunnel setup. SS is similar. Used Galvanized. The air / water seperator is an auto dump unit from McMaster Carr. Each air feed is T'd with it's own ball valve. (The tunnel has solenoids controlled by the controller or tapeswitch as well) Seperate valves makes for easy swap out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyNC_Rjs8c0