What's new

Air machine

slash007

Reaction score
I want to add an air machine in my vac area and was wondering if I should get a simple air machine or go for one that automatically stops at the set pressure? Or should I buy a combo air/tire shine or air/whatever machine? (I already have shampoo and fragrance all over the place). Any tips or advice based on personal experience is appreciated. Thanks.

chaz

Reaction score
We actually added air to one of our vacs that backs up to our building. Ran in rubber air hose from our main compressor through attic and then in pipe one it's reaches outside. Connected through a kipp solenoid valve and the Dixmor timer in the vac. Customer can actually switch between air and vac as they wish, $1.00 for 4 minutes. Air gauge built into the chuck. Gets lots of use.

MEP001

Reaction score
That's how I'd do it if any of the vacs had conduit big enough for an air line, probably cost less than $100 to add air that way vs. an air machine that's at least $2,000.

slash007

Reaction score
That would save a lot of money, but I don't have a way of running the air line out to the vacs so I have to look at other options. Anyone know of a decent tire shine machine? I've seen some combo air/tire shine but have no idea if they work well.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
built in air gauge & chuck???

We actually added air to one of our vacs that backs up to our building. Ran in rubber air hose from our main compressor through attic and then in pipe one it's reaches outside. Connected through a kipp solenoid valve and the Dixmor timer in the vac. Customer can actually switch between air and vac as they wish, $1.00 for 4 minutes. Air gauge built into the chuck. Gets lots of use.
Chaz,

That's a great idea & could be a good fit for many of us ... even up here in North Dakota .... brrr it can get cold. I never thought about that the customer could just flip a toggle switch on the face plate & use excess time left on the Vac to check & possibly fill the air. Or visa versa like you said. I give a bonus for using dollar coins with my Dixmor LED7 so it will be another encouraging factor for the customer to not want to use just quarters. Even if I raised the bonus to the $2 threshold it could make sense. I will probably put the Kip solenoid in where it is warm behind the 8 inch block wall.

Can you share a link to &/or the brand with us to the "Air gauge built into the chuck" that has proven to be durable & resistant to theft? I did a google on "built in chuck on air gauge" & I am not sure if any are as good as the one you chose.

This is something we hope to do to keep the initial & ongoing cost reasonable providing air. We have the added consideration of freezing temperatures ... which we think we can overcome with possibly a retractable reel back in our building since one of our Vac's is in the sun on the corner of our laundromat in the rear.

Last summer, we came real close to going with a real fancy high initial cost air with continuous digital readout but got cold feet after we could not find a distributor that would sell us all the high tech components (complete) to go with a super fancy display with the ability to pre-set the customers chosen air pressure along with a digitally displayed of their existing air pressure. Instead, we focused on the install & controlling of our new G&G Leds in our bays ... along with new Hydrospray Zbooms & updating of our in bay Blo Drys.

Thanks in advance.

mike king koin bismarck, nd

chaz

Reaction score
Here is the air inflator/guage I use https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-2036-acme-tire-inflators.aspx
Never had one taken, they last about a year. I just use a basic rubber hose and repair replace as needed. I like the retracting idea, just seems pricey.

I hate paying for air, and was reluctant to add a pay air station. With the toggle between air and vac I feel like I am offering an extra service for same price as vac. I have this just on one vac and it does get plenty of use.

A stand alone air station seems very pricey, and would take a while to recover expense. I have not researched this, but I bet one could somehow mount a small compressor in perhaps a partitioned area of the vac debris area if a line can't be run from the main compressor...likely would be less $ then the air only unit. I did add large decals AIR decals on the vac dome.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Here is the air inflator/guage I use https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-2036-acme-tire-inflators.aspx
Never had one taken, they last about a year. I just use a basic rubber hose and repair replace as needed. I like the retracting idea, just seems pricey.

I hate paying for air, and was reluctant to add a pay air station. With the toggle between air and vac I feel like I am offering an extra service for same price as vac. I have this just on one vac and it does get plenty of use.

A stand alone air station seems very pricey, and would take a while to recover expense. I have not researched this, but I bet one could somehow mount a small compressor in perhaps a partitioned area of the vac debris area if a line can't be run from the main compressor...likely would be less $ then the air only unit. I did add large decals AIR decals on the vac dome.
chaz & others,

Do you have some kind of a gauge for the customer ... or do they have to bring their own or guess their tire pressure?

I wonder if http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_48541_48541?cm_mmc=Aggregates-_-BECOME-_-Air Tools>Air Chucks + Gauges-_-1591711 or some other gauge set up work.

I know some areas of the country this one that includes a gauge would tend to get stolen.

Possibly a 3 way air valve in place of the Kip to bleed off the air compressor air in line & just mount a pressure gauge on the wall ... possibly a large led numerals digital behind lexan. This would only work when a 3 way toggle was turned off or on vacuum selection so air compressor does not cause a false reading. So it just reads from the specific tire. Not sure if this last method would work considering the length of hose from the 3 way & gauge would still seem to need to have a quick temporary bleed off between tires for accuracy.

mike king koin bismarck, nd

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Chaz,

Thanks for your patience.

I reread your first post & now I actually see the built-in gauge on the KleenRite picture that you linked for me twice now. It looks like the gauge is located in a really good spot at the tip of it based on the picture.

mike

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Back in `1985 or so I started an air machine business with a partner. We did this on a revenue sharing basis. Partner bought me out when I got too busy with the washes.

My thoughts.

KISS IS BEST.

Fancy readouts became a maintnenace headache.

Built in Gauges were a maintenance and theft headache.

In stand alone units 3 things helped in Cold weather.
Stickers on machine instruct to place tip in exhaust pipe in really cold weather. This thaws it out when the end is left in the snow.
Installed Oilers with Auto anti freeze in the unit betwen the compressor and hose. . Worked great.
Always use Chucj\ks that do not trap air in the line. Less wear and tear on the compresor because it starts without back pressure and helps keep line open.

Depending on traffic volume there is a reasoneable payback on an air machine. Not the same as vacs but I have one at all washes.

Stand alone machines are typicaly less confusing and you may be able to place it at a traffic choke point where more will notice and use it.

I have a stand alone Armor All tire shine machine made bt Effex. Sits in a back room. The runoff from the tires left a mess and there were some maintnenace issues with the gun etc. Saving the case. May convert to an air machine like I did with a trashed stand alone shampooer I inherited at one place.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Here again is the link to the air chuck with built in guage.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-2036-acme-tire-inflators.aspx

Tried a cheaper one but they don't seem to last. I've never lost one of these to theft, just normal wear ann tear they last about a year. I do use a bit of thread lock to make removal a bit harder.
I can't seem to tell by the picture in the link ... Is the attached gauge a small round needle style or does it pop out with more pressure showing the scale pressure at the height position .. like the more common old style stand alone air testers for personal use?

chaz

Reaction score
Guage pops out at current pressure. Likely other styles out there, this one has worked well for me.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Made my own with an old coinbox, timer, double solenoid, pressure gauge, water separator and hooked it to my compressor. Works great, used a lot...payback was 3 months.

chaz

Reaction score
Nice. My payback was even quicker as I made it a toggle option on an existing vac. In any case, well worth it. Just dint know how quick one could pay back the very nice and fancy standalone air units

MEP001

Reaction score
It seems like the payback would be pretty fast if you're making $.75 to $1 per vend and if you have a good location. I routinely see people driving through the lot looking for an air machine when they actually have to drive past the convenience store on the same chunk of concrete that has one right out front. As many people I see using theirs, it must make $20-30 a day.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Made my own with an old coinbox, timer, double solenoid, pressure gauge, water separator and hooked it to my compressor. Works great, used a lot...payback was 3 months.
Why "Double Solenoid"?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I think important considertations for Stand a lone are:

1. Location, location, Location. It is best to put it at a "Choke point" where everyone entering can easily see it. Using an existing compressor to supply air may or may not allow this placement.
2. Security of coin box. Great looks are nice, Years ago bought some (No longer made by this company) where coins were kept in the case which was secured by 2 disc locks that theives could easily strong arm off.
I like the JE Adams system.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Anybody do this and install in the bays next to the Er? Would it be too confusing? I can see pro's and con's....The hose and chuck would be in out of the weather. If it was raining, the customer would be in out of the weather....Might get more use that way...After the customer has filled tires with air, he might opt to wash his car!

Cons...Really can't think of any unless it would be easier to cut the hose and steal the chuck...But then everybody in my area know I have cameras all over the place. Or would having two coin acceptors in the bay be an issue, even with signage? I don't have any room left on my 8 position rotary or open wires back to the ER, I think, so adding it to my Bay box is out of the question???? So I'd have to put in a separate acceptor and timer.

I like the idea of another pay point that can be installed easily and reasonbable........