What's new

Air Machine Usage

Cool Wash

Reaction score
I am wondering if any one knows on average how many times an air machine is used daily or weekly at very busy SS wash. How long it may take to recoup the investment! Aby comments on maintenance? I am thinking to add Crypto pay as well. Any comments on crypto pay for air machine?

I looked for prior thread but could not find one specific to usage. Thank you for your comments.

Roz

Reaction score
Not much value as a revenue source. We offer our air machine for free to build goodwill. Too many gas stations offer free air so people tend to expect air to be free.

MEP001

Reaction score
I know a few people with them. No one around here gives free air anymore. 7-Eleven stores all have them, and they rarely ever work. I'm thinking I should put one in, but I'd put it on the back wall of the building and run it off the main compressor so the investment would be small. Most of the guys I know with one get used anywhere from 12 to 20 times a day. The guy closest to me bought a new hose from me three years ago and it's still on it. I'm sure he's replaced the chuck a couple times, but it's only like $3 so who cares.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The only thing I have replaced on my air machine, which I bought used, is the coin acceptor. Of course I've put a couple chucks on and a hose or two as well.

I don't think I would put crypto pay on mine Because my sales don't justify the expense.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't think I would put crypto pay on mine Because my sales don't justify the expense.
How many people a day use yours? Let's say six, and let's say half use CC at $1 startup. That's $1100 a year, IMO worth the $400 for the swiper.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you have an air machine I recommend not using the chuck with guge once it breaks if it comes with one and also using an "Open Chuck" style which does not retain the pressure. At my gas / Tunnel wash I have 3 of these machines in service. At one tunnel only - one machine and at the Tunnel / 8 bay one machine converted from a derelict shampoo machine.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I know a few people with them. No one around here gives free air anymore. 7-Eleven stores all have them, and they rarely ever work. I'm thinking I should put one in, but I'd put it on the back wall of the building and run it off the main compressor so the investment would be small. Most of the guys I know with one get used anywhere from 12 to 20 times a day. The guy closest to me bought a new hose from me three years ago and it's still on it. I'm sure he's replaced the chuck a couple times, but it's only like $3 so who cares.
Every locality is different. Almost all the very numerous local gas stations here have free air. What helps us is the fact that ours has a 100' hose with gauge on an expensive Cox Retracting reel located inside the corner of our laundromat. We have the air with the Coin Op Vacuum that is right by that corner of the building.

I am thinking that it is more of a drawing card than a money maker considering the cost of the special "no jerking" retracting reel. At least we kept the cost down with the simple toggle switch & the simple Kip solenoid & easy tapping into that existing air line that was already available within the laundromat side of our business.

water guy

Reaction score
We have a jim Coleman vac and carpet cleaner I'm fixing to convert to air machine where is everyone getting there compressor at

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
We have a jim Coleman vac and carpet cleaner I'm fixing to convert to air machine where is everyone getting there compressor at
I've used the expensive ones called Thomas but I am now trying one (Oil less) from Harbor freight. So far so good for last couple of years. Figured since they only run 4 minutes at time and with an open chuck they don't have much back pressure. Have also considered this. https://www.zoro.com/california-air...only-60-db-sp-9413/i/G4125479/#specifications

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Just curious ... does the vac & carpet cleaner require too much maintenance or too little usage for you to consider converting it with the air option?
I've debated in my mind about adding a vac & carpet machine but always got spooked because of our extreme cold weather months here in North Dakota.

Depending on the vac location to your building ... it seems more ideal to be able to tap into the main air compressor (with its backup) than to have the smaller cfm one like Earl suggested that would normally not have an already installed backup like probably most of our main air compressors have.