What's new

Air Lift Door Problem

washregal

Reaction score
My issue is this.. Installed in around 2008 / 2009 time frame.. I have had intermittent problems on the exit door ever since.. Exit door only!

This year I put the doors down mid December without issue.. Today a busy day.. All hell broke loose.. What happens is that the door fails to open .. We have this set to our spot free rinse at a precise time. The user is stuck inside our car wash.. The user has to get out and depress the exit door button. When the exit door does not actuate the emergency open button on the exit box does not work... Then the user needs to press the entrance button to reverse out of our wash.

This is usually doubly bad because there is usually someone in line that has already paid for the next wash.. Now I am dealing with refunds.. Upset customers.. Bad word of mouth.. Loss of electric , loss of chemical.. In addition loss. Of heat my doors remain open when my tube heater runs when it is 19 degrees out.. You can imagine the cost of a 100,000 btu tube heater running all night!

This has happened every year since I have had these doors..please help!

What would cause the exit door open button NOT to actuate? Please keep in mind this is extremely intermittent .. Entrance door works fine...when the issue occurs the door won't open and the open emergency button can not be depressed...what typically does work if you move your hand in front of the eye and hold it there the doors eventually go up.. Please...please...please help!

Could this be an air issue - Since I have not had the issue all year only started on me again today? Thinking that maybe the compressor cant keep up with heavier load? Perhaps reduce the entrance door air? Has anyone else had this issue...?

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I know it would be a good bit of work, but you could swap the door controllers and see if it moves to the entrance door. Intermittant problems are the worst!

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Ours originally had that problem and it was the ice cube relays that were bad-
also installed something to pulse the door longer than a quick pulse- holds it for like a half second. If not one of those problems we have also had the
air control valve get sticky.

washregal

Reaction score
You mentioned timing ... did you change a relay? If So - What relay did you change it from to? Thinking after looking at it that perhaps my relay might have gone bad - can relays work intermittently? I have a few emails into air lift on this as well - I will post what they come back with and what becomes the solution.. Great news is we are looking as lows of high 20's low 30's and Highs in the 40's this week - so guess what.. the doors are up!

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
We just replaced the relay with a new one that worked 100%.
The first one worked intermittently.