What's new

Air Dryer Question

RAAOO7

Reaction score
I have a very busy self serve location, I've been thinking about adding air dryers but worried about the traffic flow slowing down. I know customers are paying for the time but can it cause a negative impact on the site? Also having more equipment = more maintenance, hoses get tangled up in bays etc.... Is it worth it?

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't see how it could cause a negative impact since it should just increase your revenue, but if you don't have a lot of bay idle time maybe you could focus on other revenue-generating things that won't affect the bays. I'm amazed at how much my shampoo-vac is making - I almost didn't fix it but I'm really glad I did. I've been thinking of a way to build a real extractor unit without having plumbing to it.

KleanRide

Reaction score
I installed an Air Logic Dryer as a test unit in one of my 7 SS bays about 4 months ago. It's got an hour meter on it so I can track usage. So far it has increased that bay's revenue by roughly 11% with an average usage of 12 hours per month. At that rate it will pay itself off within the year.

I'm noticing that credit card customers seem to use it way more than coin folks. I mounted it on the same wall with my spray gun holder (foamy and triple shine are on opposite side) and so far no issue with tangled hoses.

I was originally planning to put one in all 7 bays but now I'm thinking that may be overkill. May do every other bay (4 total units) and call it done.

Last edited:

RAAOO7

Reaction score
so is air dryer worth installing at a super busy wash?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
YES!!! Get air dryers for the bays!!! You are missing an essential piece of the logic behind adding an air dryer; low cost to operate. This gives you more profit at your wash. No soap, water, sewer! Yes, more to purchase, maintain and fix, but mine have been really low-maintenance and I have had them a year +. I bought mine used, so very affordable. Who cares if they spend more time!? Time + $$$. My SS is only 2 bays ( plus IBA) and I love it when customers use blowers because it is like the vacuum; highest profit margin item / selection at the car wash!

I want to be the car wash that has the most goodies in the bays. I keep adding more selections. I have a mat brusher. I keep adding more and more vending; I just relocated 2 under-performing vendors from a small laundro mat to my car wash. The more quarters plinking into the machines the better, right?!

soonermajic

Reaction score
I had 10 Laurel vendors on a SS Island, right in front of bill changer. I added a 14 vend glass front, from Etowah V. Vending literally trippled, none of "it didn't gimme my towel" & spend 1/3rd the time on it. Best thing we did for SS , along w/ going up .25 & dropping time a yr after.

YES!!! Get air dryers for the bays!!! You are missing an essential piece of the logic behind adding an air dryer; low cost to operate. This gives you more profit at your wash. No soap, water, sewer! Yes, more to purchase, maintain and fix, but mine have been really low-maintenance and I have had them a year +. I bought mine used, so very affordable. Who cares if they spend more time!? Time + $$$. My SS is only 2 bays ( plus IBA) and I love it when customers use blowers because it is like the vacuum; highest profit margin item / selection at the car wash!

I want to be the car wash that has the most goodies in the bays. I keep adding more selections. I have a mat brusher. I keep adding more and more vending; I just relocated 2 under-performing vendors from a small laundro mat to my car wash. The more quarters plinking into the machines the better, right?!

Eric H

Reaction score
I want to be the car wash that has the most goodies in the bays. I keep adding more selections.
To me this is an important statement. I want to be the carwash with lots of extras...even it the customer doesn't use it! Yes, the air dryers make me a lot of additional revenue with very low (almost ZERO) maintenance, but I think having options gives the customer a perceived value. Would you go to a grocery store that carried ONLY the products that you purchase or a huge selection of products even though you aren't interested in purchasing most of them. I think for most people they would choose the grocery store that had many options. But why? Both stores have the products that you want. Why go to the store with so many choices that you aren't interested in? People simply want choices. I want to be the place that draws customers for perceived value as much a real value!

MEP001

Reaction score
I stopped at a remodeled car wash last night. They wanted all the goodies possible and added "Bug Off." They didn't bother adding another function, they just split tire cleaner off to another selection and called it Bug Off. With all the money they spent on everything else, I feel like they should have added dryers instead.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
I have a 5-bay SS car wash and added 5 of Diskin's Super Air-Shammee II installed in December 2018, along with hour meter. Equipment cost us $10k ($2k / bay) + $5k for electric sub-panel, + $5k for installation. My Air Dryers get a TON of use and our $20k investment was paid off in ONLY 8 months. I highly recommend the Air Dryers. Initially, the installers put them on the side of the bay with the HP gun (as suggested by Troy Diskin), which was a HUGE mistake! The dryer hose got tangled up with the HP gun hose (360 boom) and forced customers to step over the HP gun hose, as they walked around their car. So, we moved them to the other side of the bay next to the Foam Brush. That is a BETTER location, as both Booms lay flat against the wall. We have had some issues with the Air Dryer hoses falling down. The wimpy hose clamp that comes with the Air Dryer is NOT strong enough to attach the corrugated dryer hose (aka vacuum hose) to the rigid metal boom. We're now using heavy-duty hose clamps and added a Mosmatic SS elbow at the end of the boom (Kleen-Rite #BOMP60314). The key to customers using the Air Dryer is having signage (A-frame, banner & bay signs). We also advertise it in the local on-line newspaper. For the first 6 months, we were on-site EVERY DAY, giving away extra $1 tokens, so customers could try it for FREE to see if they liked it. Very helpful, as some customers think it's a vacuum, as it uses a standard 2" vacuum hose. Once customers try it, they're hooked! :) I have customers that tell me they drive past 3-4 other car washes just to come to me - because I'm the ONLY car wash with the Air Dryer!! It has TOTALLY separated me from my competition! Well worth the investment!! My car wash is open 24 hours and VERY BUSY! Customers don't mind waiting a few extra minutes to use my wash. If they don't want to wait, they tell me they'll come back later when it's not so busy.

soonermajic

Reaction score
$500 / mo /bay. Holy Cow can't imagine what total $/mo/ bay is.
With that on ONE FUNCTION, it wpuld easily be over $30,000/YEAR!!! Id surmise that is some sort of a world's record!😯🤔💰💰

Last edited:
Etowah

jack954

Reaction score
so what is the best air dryer out there and why?

jack954

Reaction score
i have a stand alone 3 blower dryer for 1$ for 60 seconds by my exit that does pretty well, having tough time deciding if i should do the bays as well

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I only Have the Diskin Single motor for about 3 years now. Nothing to compare . I can say one I figured it out. - Elbow and cuff on boom, a little duct tape to keep hoses secured, Maintenance -0- except one hose replacement.

OurTown

Reaction score
so what is the best air dryer out there and why?

I don't know the answer but I like the single 3 phase motor versions. They claim they are a little more powerful plus the motor maintanance is nill. The Diskin Super Air Shammee II is one and Carolina Pride makes one. Install cost will be more though because of needing a motor starter.