What's new

Air Dryer handles flying around

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Have you experienced this? I'm just about for sure I checked ours and the highest draw I measured was without any nozzle at all. Blowers are funny like that.
Shouldn't it be lower without the airflow, or is that just with vacuum?

I discovered this recently because I built my own starter box and put overloads on the motors. I set them to just a little over nameplate rating. If I recall it was around 13 amps. I came back a couple days later and two overloads had tripped. Started playing with a meter and found with the trigger not pulled they were drawing over 20 amps. I confirmed this at a second site. It's a 208volt site

Yes, I believe it is opposite on a vacuum. Got no idea why though. You would think movement of the air is the load on the motor regradless of what direction it is moving. Maybe someone here can confirm my findings, but if a motor is running that much higher then the nameplate rating it's can't be good for it long term. I can't imagine those Chinese engineers spending the extra money to overbuild the windings. I guess though if it was a huge deal and causing quick failures they would have addressed it. But maybe it will make the difference between the motor lasting five years or ten years.

Martins

Reaction score
We also use the 6" Hamel wand holders on our Diskin dryers. I had a machine shop weld them to a stainless steel plate, so we could use the original holes as the Diskin boxes. Upgraded the signage too, to warn customers of "strong air speed". The Air Logic nozzles are a HUGE improvement!! :D
did you rivit the gun onto the hose also?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
My thinking would be that with a blower, air is present and it's trying to push/compress it, hence overloading. In a vacuum, with no flow of air, it's literally running in a vacuum, and freewheeling.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
did you rivit the gun onto the hose also?
Yes, we riveted the Diskin gun onto the hose and the Air Logic gun we used a 4" threaded bolt with a cap nut. See photos... We also screwed self-tapping screws to help the hose stay onto the end of the boom. The heat and back-pressure from the Diskin guns created all sorts of problems for us. Fixed by switching to the Air Logic guns! :)

Attachments

Etowah

OurTown

Reaction score
I discovered this recently because I built my own starter box and put overloads on the motors. I set them to just a little over nameplate rating. If I recall it was around 13 amps. I came back a couple days later and two overloads had tripped. Started playing with a meter and found with the trigger not pulled they were drawing over 20 amps. I confirmed this at a second site. It's a 208volt site

Yes, I believe it is opposite on a vacuum. Got no idea why though. You would think movement of the air is the load on the motor regradless of what direction it is moving. Maybe someone here can confirm my findings, but if a motor is running that much higher then the nameplate rating it's can't be good for it long term. I can't imagine those Chinese engineers spending the extra money to overbuild the windings. I guess though if it was a huge deal and causing quick failures they would have addressed it. But maybe it will make the difference between the motor lasting five years or ten years.

I have some readings now and not sure what I was thinking before. With the Air Logic nozzle installed it is drawing 13 amps, 10 amps without the nozzle and 34 amps with the nozzle pushed hard against the wall. For some reason I did not think of it at the time but I should restricted the intake some to verify it would indeed lower amperage draw.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Yes, we riveted the Diskin gun onto the hose and the Air Logic gun we used a 4" threaded bolt with a cap nut. See photos... We also screwed self-tapping screws to help the hose stay onto the end of the boom. The heat and back-pressure from the Diskin guns created all sorts of problems for us. Fixed by switching to the Air Logic guns! :)
I always thought I didn't want the hoses too secure. That way it would come apart if someone hooked it with the car. Now thinking of using the self tapping screw. any experience if hose will tear before ripping boom down if someone hooks it with their car?

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
I always thought I didn't want the hoses too secure. That way it would come apart if someone hooked it with the car. Now thinking of using the self tapping screw. any experience if hose will tear before ripping boom down if someone hooks it with their car?
Hi Earl, the screws offer some strength & rigidity with all the use my dryer hoses get. But if someone hooks it, it will unravel like an old sweater (see photo)... Then, just cut off the bad section & re-attach. The weakest part is the hose.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
My thinking would be that with a blower, air is present and it's trying to push/compress it, hence overloading. In a vacuum, with no flow of air, it's literally running in a vacuum, and freewheeling.
Generally this is dependent on what type of blower motor you are using,

if it’s an original Air shammie style Motor That use the vacuum motors with the three bolts (single phase), if you restrict airflow to or from the fan The Motor speeds up slightly and the current drops as there is less load on the motor Because it’s just spinning there that is physically around the fan, think of it the same way as how an air gate Reduces electrical consumption on the blower

But on the contrary, The type of motor used for the Air shammie II (3phase) Uses what’s known as a side channel blower, Which is generally known to be a positive displacement blower, where if you have the Outlet fully open, the motor draws the least amount of current as it’s just moving air, while if you restrict the outlet, the turbine is trying to move the same amount of air through a smaller diameter, and so in turn the Motor load increases Generally with these types of motors, they are very popular especially in Europe for Vacuum motors, simply because they are generally known to be quieter and have longer lifespans, plus they can provide extremely decent suctio Generally with these types of motors, they are very popular especially in Europe for Vacuum motors, simply because they are generally known to be quieter and have longer lifespans, plus they can provide extremely strong suction, so they very rarely clog

Keno

Reaction score
We installed the single motor and have had zero problems compared to the 3 motors set up we would constantly blow fuses and have motors go out.

View attachment 8213
Can you please post your dimensions for this holder you custom made? I am piecing together an air dryer system similar to the Air Shammee going with the same exact vac nozzle and I would like to get some of these holders made locally. Thanks.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
Can you please post your dimensions for this holder you custom made? I am piecing together an air dryer system similar to the Air Shammee going with the same exact vac nozzle and I would like to get some of these holders made locally. Thanks.
Custom holder is 7" High x 9" Wide. We went with a larger holder so we could re-use the same holes from Diskin's holder.

Attachments

Keno

Reaction score
Custom holder is 7" High x 9" Wide. We went with a larger holder so we could re-use the same holes from Diskin's holder.
Are these the dimensions of your holder or Carwashmafia's? I bought the same nozzles as @Carwashmafia and plan on getting the same holders fabricated locally.

Cypresswash

Reaction score

Keno

Reaction score
All the air dryer nozzles are plastic as far as I know. We used car wash Mafia's nozzle and holder design. Works for us, we like it.