What's new

Air compressor...single or two stage?

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that two stage compressors are needed for higher air pressure...up to 175 psi. Single stage compressors are rated around 125 psi. Since we need 100 psi to operate, is it necessary to use a two stage compressor? After all, we are going to put a regulator on and back it down to 100 psi anyways. Thoughts?

dewey9876

I CLN CAZ
Reaction score
I would be more concerned with CFM than PSI. Obviously it all depends on what you are running with the compressor to determine the appropriate size. You don't want your compressor running constantly trying to keep up. I would go larger than you think. If nothing else this will allow for adding more equipment in the future.

MEP001

Reaction score
The main thing to consider, aside from CFM, is the duty cycle. Most single-stage compressors are not rated continuous duty and will overheat and fail if it runs too long.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
The main thing to consider, aside from CFM, is the duty cycle. Most single-stage compressors are not rated continuous duty and will overheat and fail if it runs too long.
Are you still happy with the performance of the Husky single stage that you have used?

RAATCB

Reaction score
I would recommend most USA built 2 stage pumps with a 3 phase motor (If 3 phase is available)

At my car wash I have 2 (60g) tank compressors

One compressor runs and when something goes wrong the other compressor kicks in automatically.

MEP001

Reaction score
Are you still happy with the performance of the Husky single stage that you have used?
Yes, in fact just last week the Ingersoll Rand was running non-stop for half a day due to a burst line and the thermal overload actually burned out. The Husky ran non-stop for hours and had no trouble keeping the pressure over 100 PSI even with the burst line.

The two tanks are tee'd together with the Husky set to come on just below the I/R in case of its failure.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We have an very inexpensive less than $200 from Menards oil-less single stage Powermate 200 PSI compressor that has wheels on it. Extremely noisy (like wear ear protection) but we are using it just as a backup & because it has enough CFM ... our for our portable plasma cutter. It is more involved to set up the auto kick on if the main most used 2 stage 175 PSI Ingersoll Rand air compressor has a lower turn on than the backup than if the other was true.

So Ric ... it appears there are exceptions to the single stage being less pressure capable. The single stage or 2 stage that has a higher pressure would tend to have more CFM capacity for short bursts of use ... such as when we need a lot of air to blow out our lines.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

Wet Spot

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new compressor. I'm looking at a Quincy from aircompressorsdirect. A 60g, 5 hp, 2 stage, 1 phase. The reviews were great on the website. Any thoughts or experience?
Thx

Wet Spot

Reaction score
Yes, that's the one. I really don't need that much air, 30g would be fine but I havnt found a Quincy in that size. Quincy seems to have good reviews and a pretty good warranty. I'm still open to ideas, but the price isn't bad with free ship and no tax. I know I'm not purchasing the lowes or HD units.

Randy

Reaction score
In 1992 the night before we were going on a 2 week vacation the air compressor at the car wash died. I was forced to go to the only store that was open, a Builders Square. The only air compressor they had was a 2hp. 20 gallon Sanborn air compressor. I figured that it would last at least the 2 weeks I was going to be gone. It’s still in service today. I had to replace the motor start switch and the pressure switch but it’s still running today. So I wouldn’t knock the home improvement store air compressors to much. The Sanborn has a small pulley on the motor so it doesn’t run as fast as some air compressors.

RAATCB

Reaction score
Saylor-Beall is a very good quality USA made compressor. A little more expensive tho.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new compressor. I'm looking at a Quincy from aircompressorsdirect. A 60g, 5 hp, 2 stage, 1 phase. The reviews were great on the website. Any thoughts or experience?
Thx
Wet Spot,

If you have 3 phase in your equipment room ... you will be better off long term wise to go with a 3 phase Quincy rather than 1 phase. A good master electrician can help with the understanding of usually a better allocation of amperage that bigger items such as the Quincy 5 HP would give by choosing 3 phase. There are other long term considerations such as durability of the motor & some gain in efficiency reasons also.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

wash4me

Reaction score
Saylor-Beall is a very good quality USA made compressor. A little more expensive tho.
We have a saylor beall that we bought used 10 years ago. It's never been touched except changing oil. I would guess it's 20 years old and it was in a tire shop before I bought it. That guy never worked on it either.