What's new

Air Compressor recommendations

Overachiever

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the car wash world, just bought in January (4 SS, 2 touchless) and the air compressor we inherited has blown its motor.

The previous owner told me he has been buying the cheap $350 - $400 compressors from Home Depot / Sears and replacing them around every 6 months when they burn out. Seems like there has to be a better way right?

Can anyone link me to a more reliable compressor? I've seen some old posts talking about a few different brands (Eaton, Champion, Ingersoll Rand) and different specs like 1 or 2 stage and different configurations like plumbing two compressors together. Now I'm confused on which route I should go, haha.

How much should I expect to spend for a good compressor and how much do they cost to maintain per year? Money is kind of tight right now with all the new business expenses and what not so I was hoping to spend no more than $1500.00.

Thanks!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a Champion Centurion II. Lots of money but flawless performance, quiet, awesome machine.

Cheap isn't so if you're working on it alot. The aircompressor is at the heart of the carwash operation; not a place to skimp.

mattman

Reaction score
We started installing Champion air compressors 7 years ago and have had great luck. Either the Centurion or Advantage series would be an excellent choice. The Advantage series comes with an automatic drain, on-board air cooler, and low oil alert. Look for a 7.5 HP with either an 80 or 120 gallon tank. I've also seen folks have good results with Ingersoll-Rand(commercial type not the box store type).

wash4me

Reaction score
Saylor-Beal is a very good continuous duty rated compressor. We have one with a 120 gallon tank. Look for a compressor with a "standard" frame motor and 1800 rpm. For example 5 hp 184t frame. Many/most cheaper compressors use a 3600 rpm motor. Also if you have it available 3 phase motors last longer and are more reliable.

Overachiever

Reaction score
Saylor-Beal is a very good continuous duty rated compressor. We have one with a 120 gallon tank. Look for a compressor with a "standard" frame motor and 1800 rpm. For example 5 hp 184t frame. Many/most cheaper compressors use a 3600 rpm motor. Also if you have it available 3 phase motors last longer and are more reliable.
Thanks for the info! I'll keep those specs in mind. I'll work on getting some quotes and let you guys know what I end up going with.

Reds

Reaction score
I would stay away from Rol - Air compressors. I have had a lot of blown head gaskets, oil spewing out of them, and one even threw a rod and blew a hole in the side of the compressor and then the flying part punched a hole in the restroom door. Good thing no one was standing there. I have one Ingersoll Rand 2 stage that has worked flawlessly.

carwash11147

Reaction score
I would stay away from Rol - Air compressors. I have had a lot of blown head gaskets, oil spewing out of them, and one even threw a rod and blew a hole in the side of the compressor and then the flying part punched a hole in the restroom door. Good thing no one was standing there. I have one Ingersoll Rand 2 stage that has worked flawlessly.
Just to throw in my 2 cents but I, too, have a Rol - Air compressor but haven't had many problems with it. The first ten years I had to replace two check valves to the tank and the pressure switch once. This past year I replaced the belts and the pump cracked at one of the mounts leaking all of the oil out. I purchased a reconditioned one from Rol for $650. I don't think that is too bad for eleven years of heavy use. I have 2 IBAs with 4 air operated doors and 4 ss bays using this compressor.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Get a Polar Air so heavy duty for the price and a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty I have a 2-stage 60gallon love it

Carver

Reaction score
It looks like you have done your research. You are on the right track, you should get a higher quality Air Compressor. You only need a single stage since 125 PSI is all you need. I would at least 5 HP with a 60 Gallon Tank. Having two Compressers is a great idea but is not always in the bugget. If it's not in the bugget for two quality Compressors I think you would be better off with one Quality one rather than 2 cheap ones.
http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/am-en/products/air