What's new

Air compressor problem

Kevin James

Reaction score
This morning our clean up employee walked into the equipment room and heard air hissing from the air compressor. The tank on the air compressor had a hole in the bottom of it. The tank has an automatic drain on it to keep the water out of it. We replaced it with 20 gallon Porter Cable from Tractor supply. All good now. I guess it's common that air compressor tanks rot out after a few years, in 30 years this is our first.

OurTown

Reaction score
This morning our clean up employee walked into the equipment room and heard air hissing from the air compressor. The tank on the air compressor had a hole in the bottom of it. The tank has an automatic drain on it to keep the water out of it. We replaced it with 20 gallon Porter Cable from Tractor supply. All good now. I guess it's common that air compressor tanks rot out after a few years, in 30 years this is our first.

What brand was the one that was only a few years old and rotted out? I'm under the impression that the expensive brands still last a very long time as the older ones did.

Laser Schofield

Reaction score
My day job is selling Air Compressors, the new tanks don't last as long as the older ones, compressed air condensate has a really low ph, eat around the welds, never fixable safely, the bigger the tank you can fit the thicker the metal, the more exspesive compressors generally have the non-Chinese tanks, Most "Industrial Duty" compressors are All Cast Iron with ball Brg cranks what you want to get if your >5Hp application,
<5 are mostly throw away's nowdays, kind of like refrigerators,
Good luck!
I was reading your post on Cryptopay, Thxs,

Kevin James

Reaction score
What brand was the one that was only a few years old and rotted out? I'm under the impression that the expensive brands still last a very long time as the older ones did.
It was a older 20 gallon Ingersoll Rand. We had a Dayton do the same thing a few years ago at another car wash. Go onto Youtube and look up “Exploding air compressor tanks” these air compressor tanks can be dangerous.

OurTown

Reaction score
It was a older 20 gallon Ingersoll Rand. We had a Dayton do the same thing a few years ago at another car wash. Go onto Youtube and look up “Exploding air compressor tanks” these air compressor tanks can be dangerous.

I was just thinking of one I saw and how much damage it did. Luckily the guy was not nearby when it happened.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
One of the reasons I turn the pressure switch down to 80/100....Kicks off at 100, on at 80. A lot less heat and condensation and a whole lot easier on the motor. The most pressure I need at the wash is 60psi, so why run the compressor at the max? 80 gallons goes a long way if you don't have leaks.

OurTown

Reaction score
One of the reasons I turn the pressure switch down to 80/100....Kicks off at 100, on at 80. A lot less heat and condensation and a whole lot easier on the motor. The most pressure I need at the wash is 60psi, so why run the compressor at the max? 80 gallons goes a long way if you don't have leaks.

Wouldn't it run more often though?

Laser Schofield

Reaction score
starting and stopping recip is harder on them then the pressure setting,
most cheap compressor have a 20 or 30psi fixed differential sw.
you can get adjustable ones,
What i do w/on my 10Hp compressor is run it 70-140psi, then I have a really flow control regulator set to 60psi for low pressure air needs, then you only leak at 60psi, comp runs less frequently but longer, which is a lot better on belts, sw, the compressor ect,
I do have two vlv need 100psi, i just send those an 1/8" line before the regulator, I also highly suggest an air dryer if you don't have one, or the reg gets wet/dirty and doesn't work as billed,
Any local industrial compressor dist would have these type of things, pdf enclosed

Attachments

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Wouldn't it run more often though?
I'll have to disagree....My compressor is an old Campbell Hausfeld 80 gallon tank compressor, guessing 20-25+ years old with factory motor. I did change the pump 13 years ago, the PO let it run out of oil and its one of the first things I replaced. Factory settings on the pressure switch is on at 100psi and off at 120 psi...Popoff is rated at 130psi... This is a difference of 20 psi of the 80 gallon capacity...So I'm wondering what is the difference between the factory setting and the way I have it set now at on at 80psi and off at 100psi...Still 20 psi of the 80 gallon capacity. So in my mind, its the same volumn. I really don't see the difference other than less load on the compressor at startup and less heat trying to build pressure to 120psi...I rarely see the compressor running at the wash. The head on the pump is always cool between cycles...And it never gets hot at the end of an on cycle....Just warm...I guess my Campbell Hausfeld is considered a cheap compressor even though it has an 80 gallon tank, so far it has been pretty trouble free for me. Different washes require different compressor needs. I don't need anything over 60 psi....I only have to drain the water trap 2-3 times a year and drain the tank twice a year. Never really get much out of either drains...

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I really don't see the difference other than less load on the compressor at startup and less heat trying to build pressure to 120psi...I rarely see the compressor running at the wash.
It sounds like you stay on top of any slight leaks etc for that kind of "rarely see it running" performance!

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
You are right! I use all SMC push connect fittings and never hear any air leaks.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
You are right! I use all SMC push connect fittings and never hear any air leaks.
So the SMC brand tends to be a bit better than the KR's John Guest brand when it comes to plastic push lock tube fittings???

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I have both, probably 90% SMC and 10% John Guest. I've never had a single one if either brand leak! Guess I should have said "Mostly use SMC"!

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
It maybe that your plastic tubing is newer making it also less likely to develop leaks!

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
How new is newer? Most of the hoses and compression fittings were eplaced 10-12 years ago. Still no leaks or drips.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
How new is newer? Most of the hoses and compression fittings were eplaced 10-12 years ago. Still no leaks or drips.
Some portions go back to 1987. Not sure if age is the only factor ... we notice anywhere some tubing is against or on top of each other ... there can be a gradual wear & eventually a leak from the abrasion! The longer lengths of tubing tend to be somewhat protected inside of a 4" PVC that we made a hinged opening along its length. We also control the inside locks of our six overhead doors with air cylinders so we might have more tubing than many others.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
aircomppower guy replied:

" Concerned about your air compressor's health? We specialize in preventive air compressor maintenance! Don't wait for surprises like tank failures. Our expert team ensures top-notch care to extend equipment life. Schedule a service today for uninterrupted operations! # "

I am wondering if an operator invested in an extra good compressor that developed a premature "bottom of tank" issue ... if it would ever be worthwhile to repair the bottom portion of the tank since the rust or whatever might be limited to just the bottom portion of the 60 or 80 gallon lower vertical upright tank?

OurTown

Reaction score
aircomppower guy replied:

" Concerned about your air compressor's health? We specialize in preventive air compressor maintenance! Don't wait for surprises like tank failures. Our expert team ensures top-notch care to extend equipment life. Schedule a service today for uninterrupted operations! # "

I am wondering if an operator invested in an extra good compressor that developed a premature "bottom of tank" issue ... if it would ever be worthwhile to repair the bottom portion of the tank since the rust or whatever might be limited to just the bottom portion of the 60 or 80 gallon lower vertical upright tank?

Have you ever seen the aftermath of a compressor tank that has exploded from a rusty tank bottom? If I thought my tank was compromised I would scrap it. Maybe even cut the bottom off so nobody tries to get it from the scrapyard and reuse it.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
A few inspectors have lectured me about ASME on the HVAC side of my business ... maybe now I will pay attention a bit more! Funny no inspectors ever bother to look at the air compressor tanks that I have had over the years!

With a local machine shop & a highly reputable sheet metal shop locally fabricated about 15 years ago we replaced some Amtrol Tanks (non-air BTW) that used an internal heat exchanger. I noticed about 5 years later Amtrol ... one of the main players in the HVAC industry finally started offering a stainless steel version.

The reason why I am mentioning this ... is because the air technicality & not just the level of pressure might have a bearing on the danger of explosion???