What's new

Air compressor pressure switch issue

Overachiever

Reaction score
Anyone know why my pressure switch would switch itself from Auto to Off at random? I thought at first it was because I was bumping it into off position as I walked around in my equipment room, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've tried replacing it and its still happening.

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
Remove the cover and break the knob off. It's probably throwing itself over. The knob just stops the switch from closing, removing it won't affect anything.

Overachiever

Reaction score
Alright I'll give going knobless a try. It's weird because I didn't have this issue for like 6 years then all of a sudden it became a problem, that seems to be getting progressively worse. I decided to give condor a call and they said that I should change the amperage setting on a yellow dial under the cover as well, so I guess i'll crank that up to it's highest setting of 30 instead of 22, but the previous switch was set to 22.

MEP001

Reaction score
It's not the amperage. The knob is just there as a convenient way to stop the compressor. It is in no way electrically relevant. Something is just making the knob turn, either vibration or the switch itself opening. I've seen before on a compressor where when it's running the knob is loose enough that breathing on it will make it turn. Increasing the amperage setting isn't necessary if it's not tripping the overload.

Just because they sell the compressor doesn't mean they know how it works. I argued with a guy over a symptom for a week because he was told by I/R that the popoff was blowing because the check valve in the tank was bad. It turned out to be the pressure switch.