What's new

Air compressor headache

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
My wife and I have recently finished a month of updates to one of our washes, new FRP panels in all the bays new signs and paint (which lasted less than 3 years since we bought and renovated the firs time). Anyway, we have started arriving at the wash to find the air compressor breaker (in the main panel) tripped on several occasions, usually a week or so apart. This started after a power failure in the area. it is 3 phase. unloader valve appears to be working every time, Amp probe shows all 3 legs drawing evenly around 18 amps or so (after initial surge). I swapped the 30 amp breaker in the panel. No change. Later I discovered when manually closing the starter contactor, the motor would sometimes hum instead of start and sometimes the contactor would stick closed cleaned the contactor best I could and operated it manually to get it working and ordered a new starter. A few days later I had a customer call me to tell me there was popping sounds coming from the equipment room. Arrived on scene to find air still in tank, but breaker popped and motor very warm. contactor stuck closed. jSuspect popping was PR valve on compressor. Bingo I thought. New starter it is.... Installed the new starter only to have my cleaning crew report the breaker was off the next day. I figured I forgot to turn it back on after finishing the starter install. 2 days later I go there again Sunday morning, NO AIR again. new starter appears to be working fine. I have added a backup compressor to save the business which after 5 days with no air during at least part of those days spread over the last month has certainly been affected. Now if the breaker trips and the main compressor does not come as the pressure gets a little lower, a portable 5hp will take over....BUT I need to fix this old 3 phase ingersoll rand ... Oh when the old starter would hum and not start I could easily manually move the pulley on the compressor so does not appear to be mechanical and most days it works perfect... Any Ideas??? About to pull the motor and take it to a shop to check it out. I have a theory that when the power company had their outage last month, perhaps all 3 legs didn't drop at same time and if the compressor happened to be running, it would have single phased. Only once did the heaters in the (old) starter trip, all other times it was the 30amp in the panel. It has only tripped once since I installed the new starter (assuming the first time was my not turning it back on, not sure that happened). Could a 3 phase motor run perfect most times but not go some times? all the pump stands are 3 phase as well as my automatic and have had no other power related issues.

Randy

Reaction score
Chip, You've replaced just about everything on the air compressor except for the tank check valve. I'd replace the tank check. Also you don't say if you've replaced the pressure switch, I'd replace it also. How big is the motor (HP) on this air compressor?

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
7.5 HP. Tank check valve was bad when I took over wash and was replaced then, I guess it could get stuck closed and cause something like this. I'll replace it again, it was cheap and easy. Same for pressure switch. Both make more sense than motor and cheaper too!

Eugene

Old Man
Reaction score
I have a IR compressor that will not start when the temp get down below 60 outside and its 75 in the building . Replaced every thing but the motor being doing that since it was new called IR service they came out said every thing is fine . I installed a back up like you BUT WILL NEVER BUY A IR COMPRESSOR AGAIN . 7.5 HP with 80gal tank .

MEP001

Reaction score
I've had this issue with an I/R when the motor was failing, but it was a single phase. They use a really cheap motor. If the 3-phase is the same cheap crap, I'd bet it's going out and probably took out your contactor.

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
The motor is IR but also marked WAG or something. runs at 1550rpm. So far its been on about 48 hours straight. I installed a neon pilot light in the new starter to indicate power to the starter so i'll see on my camera if/when trips again. I'm much more relaxed since my old reliable Sanborn from about 1980 is on job as backup. I just installed a new Quincy in my second wash (which the Sanborn has handled the last year and a half after being installed temporarily to open the wash. The IR has a 2006 date on it so a long time doing car wash duty (even though it had 4 years off prior to my purchase) Might just get a new 60 gallon to replace it. that 80 gallon compressor first thing in the door does not work real good. I couldn't get either my pump stand or automatic machinery out without removing the compressor first and its a big monster.

Randy

Reaction score
How old is the pressure switch? I keep a spare pressure switch and tank check on hand, plus a backup air compressor in the shop that we can grab in a hurry and take it to one of the car washes. Sanborn made a great compressor until they got bought by Coleman Powermate, they rebranded the Sanborn into the Black Max and then discontinued the Black Max line. We have a 1988 vintage 20 gallon Sanborn that is still in use today. Just waiting for it to die. A air compressor you never hear about is a Saylor-Beall Air Compressor, I've got one in my shop and it just keep going and going. But they expensive,.

HeyVern

Reaction score
check the amp draw on start up, I would guess the motor is going and drawing too many amps on start up, probably not every time it starts

Etowah