What's new

air comppressor

cleancar

Reaction score
Having problems with our air compressor. We bought it brand new and ran great for 4 years no trouble. All of a sudden it trips the breaker. Before we can turn the breaker back on we need to turn the belt a little otherwise it hums. There is nothing to grease and we keep an I on the oil in the compressor. Nothing else is on the breaker other than the aircompressor. Whats the deal?

Snowkiwi

Reaction score
Having problems with our air compressor. We bought it brand new and ran great for 4 years no trouble. All of a sudden it trips the breaker. Before we can turn the breaker back on we need to turn the belt a little otherwise it hums. There is nothing to grease and we keep an I on the oil in the compressor. Nothing else is on the breaker other than the aircompressor. Whats the deal?
If your compressor has a single phase motor, then the problem could be the centrifugal switch, inside the motor, the switch may not be closing, keeping the motor start winding open, until you rotate the shaft, causing it to close. Without the start winding in circuit, the motor will stall, causing the breaker to trip.

cleancar

Reaction score
It is a single phase motor. How do I know if that is the problem?

Randy

Reaction score
I’m assuming that you bought this Air compressor at a discount hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot. They use the cheapest motors that they can use. Your problem is with the motor centrifugal start switch in the motor or the start capacitor. There is not really much you can do yourself to fix the motor. I’d buy a new motor and see about having the repaired by an electrical motor shop. I keep a spare motor and pressure switch for my air compressor, with a spare Air compressor in standby.

cleancar

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. We did not buy it at a box store but I understand parts do wear out. We will purchase a new motor and find out if thats it. Thanks again!!

Randy

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. We did not buy it at a box store but I understand parts do wear out. We will purchase a new motor and find out if thats it. Thanks again!!
What kind of air compressor is this? How many HP is the motor? 110 volt or 220 volt?

soonermajic

Reaction score
CH used to be really good. I'd get a cheap backup, for situations like this

wash4me

Reaction score
After taking the belt off and seeing if it will start. you could try banging on the end of the motor with a rubber mallet or lightly with a regular hammer while it's humming trying to start. Also there's a possibility of a bad breaker. You could check the capacitors as well it's possible they have gone bad. Smell the motor and if it smells badly burnt it's probably shot.

Last edited: