What's new

After You Buff Question

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How much pressure washing do you do after a nice, rotary buff job, before any wax or sealant is applied?

Thank you!

buda

Reaction score
PRESSURE WASHING after BUFFING

Why would you pressure wash after buffing?

Years ago when laquer paints were used and sprayed dull and you had to use a heavy compound to create a shine you had a great deal of 600 to 800 grit residue left on the finish and if you were using a light compound and a polish to continue to create a high shine the practice was to wash the car off before moving to a lighter compound or polish.

With today's polyurethane enamels that spray shiny and today's clear-coats that do not require such aggressive compounds there is no need to pressure wash the car before polishing and/or waxing or sealing.

At least this is how we have detailed and trained people to detail for the past 28 years and have had no problems.

Regards

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess it depends on the type of buff job I do. You've seen my buff jobs and how I tape the car up to minimize cleanup.

Most of the time this careful prep negates the need for any washing; we often wipe down any residue with a water-damp micro fiber.

However, sometimes a buff job gets more involved and messy and I need to wash the car. It just produces a better result for me personally.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Only

Usually only when we cut a car with our 1000 compound, which is not often, tends to leave a lot of dust.

Pro-Techt

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if I compound and/or do a light polishing. I still blast out all the polishing residue out of the areas that my hand/towel won't ever reach. There's no way of taping off every crack, crevises and body line that your buffing pad glides over/across. The products I use are water based and easiy get removed with my PW'r. There's nothing that looks more incompetent than seeing dried white residue all over a vehicle.