What's new

Adjusted Sewer Rates

rld

Reaction score
Has anyone been successful in having their sewer rate adjusted for water carried off by vehicles? If so what city or state.

traveler17

Reaction score
Has anyone been successful in having their sewer rate adjusted for water carried off by vehicles? If so what city or state.
No, one of my washes is in a small rural town NC. It’s an absolute joke. I mentioned same thing, runoff from undercarriage/ power towers and carry off. We do capture our reject water and it helped a little. Myself and another wash in town getting beat over the head by sewer rate. One meter on the water and that’s all they go by, no suggestion and why would they. I’m about to sink a well if I decide to keep this one. Good luck to you , if you find something that works please let me know 😉

washnvac

Reaction score
Yes- Seaford, DE. I actually meter the sewer discharge, and only pay for what I am actually sending. My water rate is $2.52/1000gal, and sewer is $5.00/1000gal. Sewer usage is less than water by 12-15% typically.

traveler17

Reaction score
D
Yes- Seaford, DE. I actually meter the sewer discharge, and only pay for what I am actually sending. My water rate is $2.52/1000gal, and sewer is $5.00/1000gal. Sewer usage is less than water by 12-15% typically.
Did you have to pay for the meter to be set up on the sewer or does the town/city already have it there??

SplashDash

Reaction score
D

Did you have to pay for the meter to be set up on the sewer or does the town/city already have it there??
You have to put in your own sewer meter, we actually had to get a permit approval from our town & still haven’t installed they don’t know what size sewer pipe they have. We could figure it out but just haven’t as road was being expanded so we waited.

MEP001

Reaction score
We've had the SCWA trying to get the sewer rates reduced over carry-off and evaporation for at least the last 20 years. About 75% of my overall costs are sewer.

washnvac

Reaction score
We had to pay for the sewer meter--it was expensive. It was about $3000 installed back in 2005. It has paid for itself, though. I think there are much cheaper ultrasonic meters now.

traveler17

Reaction score
We had to pay for the sewer meter--it was expensive. It was about $3000 installed back in 2005. It has paid for itself, though. I think there are much cheaper ultrasonic meters now.
Did the city decide the cost of meter and installation or is that something you contracted out yourself ?

Etowah

soapy

Reaction score
ICA did a study years ago about carry off water from a car wash. As I recall it was about 35%, I would call the ICA and see if you can get the study so you have documentation.