What's new

Adding Shade Canopies to Vacuum/Dry Off Area

RAAOO7

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was thinking about adding a cantilever shade structure over my vacuum/ dry off area. ($45,000 investment) I own an self service car wash. Do you think that would bring in more customers during hot summer days and increase overall revenue? Or would I lose vacuum sales because people are staying too long ?

I appreciate everyone's comments and input.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've been meaning to look into the same thing, but I'd most likely do a frame and tarp canopy. A good tarp will last ten years or more, and should cost a lot less than a structure.

Yes, they will hang out in the drying shed in summer, you just need a lot of spaces and vacuums. The upside is they'll vacuum more in the rain.

mac

Reaction score
I'm in FL and have wondered why more operators don't do that. I think it's a great idea if your space permits it.

Wash4Life

Reaction score
It's not something I would invest in. Most of your customers who vacuum and dry off are in and out quickly. I don't see it being worth doing for 2%.

I've been meaning to look into the same thing, but I'd most likely do a frame and tarp canopy. A good tarp will last ten years or more, and should cost a lot less than a structure.

Yes, they will hang out in the drying shed in summer, you just need a lot of spaces and vacuums. The upside is they'll vacuum more in the rain.

But how many people are going to come in just to vacuum in the rain? Those few who vacuum in the rain are ritualistic, or they have a big mess that has to be addressed now.

When it rains, I think going to a car wash is the furthest thing from most people's minds.

MEP001

Reaction score
But how many people are going to come in just to vacuum in the rain? Those few who vacuum in the rain are ritualistic, or they have a big mess that has to be addressed now.
Obviously it varies by location. It's a lot for me, but I've run other washes where it was very little even with covered vacs. Here in Texas people really want shade in the summer to vac and detail, and I'd put up a canopy just for that regardless of the rain.

The one big downside to having a canopy over the vacs is that you have to clean them.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I got 2 or 3 xtras. My pre Corono expansion /new build plans are on hold.
If 1 of you wanta em, text & after CoronaVirus we can figure something out. I can text ya a pic if interested. They're EXTREMELY HEAVY & more sturdy than what I thought.
Coach

Reaction score
Having a canopy over the vacuums will cut down on people staying in the wash bays to wipe their cars off in a hot climate. I have a wash with one and one without and, at the one without, it is a constant problem of people staying in the bays even when cars are piled up waiting to wash.