What's new

Adding Lava foam to IBA

slash007

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on adding the lava curtain (called different things) to and IBA? For those that have it, would you do it again? How much are you charging extra for it?

I am thinking about adding it to my Soft Gloss and Touch Free, but can't decide if it's worth doing. I really don't want to increase my top package as it is already $13 with the tire shiners and not sure if my area would support a higher top package. I am also considering just adding it and adding more value to the top wash.

Thoughts?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Hydrophobic paint protection like ICE, Hot Wax and Shine, and other brands are fairly similar in terms of degree of shine and smoothness created, water beading effect (surface contact angle created) and durability (number of days the paint protection lasts).

So, product differentiation is lava/colored light effect.

Basic lava/colored light show costs $5,000. Full-blown program for tunnel is $20,000.

Product cost, figure $0.75 to $1.25 per application.

Hot wax/lava effect was introduced to conveyor segment because express operators ran out of things to sell.

For example, express has average ticket $8.50, adds unlimited program and average ticket drops to $7.50. After adding hot wax, average ticket increases to $8.50.

Then chemical OEM’s and in-bay OEM’s follow the leader.

Next 4-step paint sealant program for conveyor which also has lava/light. Combined with hot wax, average ticket goes up more.

So, goal and objective of product is to increase profitability and customer loyalty rate.

If you want to give value-added away for free, it will cost $0.75 to $1.25 per unit plus utilities and start-up expenses.

As for $13.00 price, self-serve charges least and many washes aren’t worth what it cost to build them.

Reason is available cash flow. Charge $4.00 minus $1.00 cost of goods equal contribution margin $3.00 most of which goes to bottom line.

I don’t believe you would want it any other way.

slash007

Reaction score
Robert, thanks for your insight, but that doesn't really answer the question that I was asking. Making money is the ultimate goal of adding anything, but I am curious how great of a show the lava effect really is and can't decide if my market would support a higher price point as I am already the highest in the area.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“….how great of a show the lava effect really is….”

I don’t believe it looks quite as good in the flesh as in the advertising, but it’s ok.

Before lava hot wax, Rain-X was top package, highest price. Before 4-step paint sealant, lava hot wax was top package, highest price. Now package with 4-step is highest price.

About 20 percent of customers will buy these products.

Why? Some people believe it’s the “show” while others believe it’s because the products shine better, leave behind a smooth finish and hold up for several weeks.

I’ve bought lava hot wax a dozen times or so in several different states and it all seemed to work as well. I won’t pay $4.00 for it because I wash and wax my vehicles a lot and don’t need it.

However, for the average person who might hand wax their car only once a year, lave/hot wax is great product.

mrfixit

Reaction score
I like the idea of it for sure, it's a great show that gives that tunnel wash feeling.. I'd like one to show up on my auto... I'd say it's a 2-3 dollar option to my customers. Others may think more or less. And it really should bump the top wash to 15... Unless you are just making plenty of profits and jist want to give back.. Or if you need the added freshness to keep current customers from straying to the new wash down the street. Maybe you can change your packages around a little to make it fit in at your price point

These are the times I wish I could have more than 4 wash packages with my older Hamilton acw!... 5 or 6 would be great. Then I can keep my same price points available and add a more expensive top wash. May have to look into it.

I question the validity of putting trifoam wax, lava wax, rain x sealant, and then clear coat on a car. Any real benefits to all those at once? Rainx claims nothing else applied before or after.. Maybe you can shift packages around to make it fit.

Last edited:

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
In reality you are dealing more with perception than results. The lava show is really great. In reality a RainX type product does just as well or possibly even a little better as far was protection and shine. A lot still depends on the condition of the vehicle and how clean it is. That being said most operators that I know feel that the lava show sells much better and for more money than a RainX type product or a super sealant.

slash007

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. I currently sell at 6,8, 10 and 13. Rain X included instead of wax on the $10, $13 is the same but adds tire shiner. Tire shiner is also a $3 option on all other washes. I was hoping to somehow add lave to the top package and also as an option to lower washes like the tire shiner but don't know if the machine is capable. Any suggestions in regards to shifting things around? I would hate to go $15 on the top then have a drop down all the way to $10. That's too big a gap.