What's new

Adding friction in my hand wash tunnel

RAATCB

Reaction score
I have a full service hand car wash. We wash appox. 150 to 200 cars per day with two guys washing cars. When cars come in not too dirty, the cars most of the time come clean. But when cars come in dirty after a rain storm, most cars are still slightly dirty. I can't ask more from the soap washers that are washing the vehicles. I have tried new guys and retrained on how to wash a vehicle but still vehicles come dirty.

I was thinking of adding a motor city rocker panel brush after the guys wash the vehicle to pass the side again. That is mostly where the vehicle is still dirty.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I was thinking electric drive because I do not have much power available. Are those motors reliable?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“…..full service hand car wash….150 to 200 cars per day with two guys washing cars….when cars come in dirty after a rain storm, most cars are still slightly dirty.”

I worked at hand wash, operated a hand wash and organized numerous charity washes.

Two people are not enough to effectively clean exterior of 150 to 200 cars a day.

Assume average is 15 to 20 cars an hour. 5-brush in-bay can do 15 to 20 cars an hour and requires about 10-hp for brushes.

Most people are lucky if they can sustain 250 watts or about 1/3rd hp.

So, I would use four washers and set the conveyor line speed for 45 cars an hour.

If you need to skinny labor, do it at start or finish line not in the tunnel.

The better the job in the tunnel, the easier it will be to dry and less labor needed to make cars ready.