What's new

Adding Credit Card to Changer/Token Vendor

Rudy

Reaction score
I have a Hamilton SS-1 front loading changer that I use to dispense brass tokens for use in my ACW IV's. It is set to take only $20 bills (and vend 4-$6 tokens). Many customers have asked for Credit Card availability, but Hamilton does not have a way to do it.

I noticed on the validator pin-out, that pins 3 and 8 provide the $5 pulses the controller is looking for. Is there any reason that I couldn't use an off the shelf (say WashGear CardMare SE) to accept the CC, and then feed this to the input of a PLC. The PLC could be programed to make "4-$5" contact closures. The controller would then accept this as $20....yes?

Ideas????

mjc3333

Reaction score
tried to do this for years CC in Hamilton changer

Hamilton wants to sell you a CC to token machine or a DAN system that could be integrated to a swipe reader on the front of the token machine. All TOO expensive. I tried Jim at EV equipment. He was working on a single reader to do just that... seems to busy or not really interested in just one swipe sale. Also contacted MEI about their soda vending CC reader that is retrofitted onto a Mars validator. Same response...too much to ask for (time r&d) just one reader. IF you have a CC system from (wash gear, wash verify, wash card, etc.), it may be possible. Again how much do they want from me to take CC at my token machine??? It all boils down to economics.. we as car wash owners only have so many choices for CC acceptance.

MEP001

Reaction score
I noticed on the validator pin-out, that pins 3 and 8 provide the $5 pulses the controller is looking for. Is there any reason that I couldn't use an off the shelf (say WashGear CardMare SE) to accept the CC, and then feed this to the input of a PLC. The PLC could be programed to make "4-$5" contact closures. The controller would then accept this as $20....yes?

Ideas????
This should be very easy to make work. The controller receives nothing complicated as a signal, just 120V pulses from the validator. Any credit card accepting timer that authorizes the card before dispensing (Etowah Valley's does not) and can output a pulse to control an existing timer would work along with a programmable relay or PLC. You don't even need to be locked in to denominations - you could use the Tokenote-style combination of pulses or the coin acceptor inputs to the controller along with the DIP switch settings and vend any number of tokens per swipe.

soapy

Reaction score
I have an old Hamilton credit card to token teller at one location. Sales through it have been dismall to say the least. After 6 years I doubt it averages $5 a day. Adding credit cards in the SS bays will result in a lot more sales via credit cards.