What's new

adding a third iba

Jack

Reaction score
We currently are touchless. It always makes me think when I see friction being used more. Seems more frictions are showing up each day and I know its always a customer preference. I see some movement toward friction, not sure how far it will go. Good luck. Jack

bmattivi

Reaction score
We Have Two Friction Washes At The Complete Opposite End Of Town (ryko Slelect A Wash) Not Really My Market. Other Than That There Are Four Old Oasis Machines In The Rest Of The Area Besides My Two Water Wizards And No Friction

alkopsick

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer that friction cleans better than touchless. We have 2 EV-1 hybrids and only offer the combo wash, and we don't get complaints from our customers. They love the wash they are getting. Kinda the best of both worlds.

escapement

Reaction score
My answer to the original question is Friction, especially since there isn't much in the way of friction machines in your area. I know a guy who has a brand new Water Wizard next to an old friction machine and the rollover blows the Water Wizard, well, out of the water in terms of sales volumes.

As others have stated, when polled many people will answer "Touchless" but when they get in line for the wash it will more than likely be for the friction machine.

Jony82

Reaction score
As others have stated, when polled many people will answer "Touchless" but when they get in line for the wash it will more than likely be for the friction machine.
I doubt people change their mind right before they get in line for a wash.

escapement

Reaction score
I doubt people change their mind right before they get in line for a wash.
That's not what I meant. Here are the comments I was referring to and agreeing with:

skip the survey, as most people are going to say touchless,
i have 1 touchless and 1 touch. touch wins 75% to 25%. once they
try they love them. my touchless is a karcher which is 4 years old and works very
well.
Definitely add a friction machine! We have a double bay site and our customers use the friction more than the touchfree 60/40 split for friction. There is a clear client?le for touchfree and for the friction.
Good Luck.
ANO
I have a 2 IBA site as well 1 friction 1 touchless. I do about 30% more friction than touch free. I also have less problems with friction machine no complaints about cleaning quality and the chemical/utility costs per wash are less.
Sorry....in my opinion the new friction with foam is much better than touchfree. I do have a touchfree next to a new foam machine. The foam is currently winning 3 to 1. Regards.
Not just his opinion, but the public's opinion. Nothing wrong with touchless they just cost A LOT more to operate and when put side by side with a brush machine they almost always wash less cars than the brush wash. I have yet to hear of a side by side with the touchless washing more than the brush. We have many sites running unattended with both touchless and brush washes.
We currently are touchless. It always makes me think when I see friction being used more. Seems more frictions are showing up each day and I know its always a customer preference. I see some movement toward friction, not sure how far it will go. Good luck. Jack

Jony82

Reaction score
That's not what I meant. Here are the comments I was referring to and agreeing with:
I'm not arguing touchless is better or a better investment than a friction, I'm just saying that when people say they prefer touchless over friction, they usually mean it and won't change their mind when they get in line. Your differences in friction numbers vs. touchless is likely the splitting of customers with the other touchless washes in town and not a preference or a change in preference for friction.

escapement

Reaction score
I'm not arguing touchless is better or a better investment than a friction....
So when you added the comment "I doubt people change their mind right before they get in line for a wash" it was just to split hairs over what is at worst a poorly worded sentence, not to disagree with my stated opinion that the thread starter should go with friction.

How about this: (warning: anecdotal information) many car wash owners and potential owners have conducted surveys of their area which would indicate the majority of car wash users prefer touchless automatic car washes. However, there are a large number of car wash owners who report that when placed side by side, friction machines almost always outsell touchless washes, with reported ratios of 3-1 and 3-2 (with some in the industry going so far to say that a touchless machine outselling it's friction counterpart at the same location is unheard of). Also to consider is the success of many tunnel washes (not the same thing as an IBA but a car wash nonetheless) reporting in excess of 100,000 washes a year (to beat a volume like that, any IBA, touchless or not, would have to be running 5 minute washes on a constant basis, one after the other, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year). While difference in sales volumes may be caused by the saturation of touchless washes coupled with a relative lack of friction machines in the same area, and some may argue that comparing the sales numbers of tunnels and IBA's is comparing apples and oranges, it is something to consider nonetheless. There is absolutely a client?le for touchless IBA's out there, but any owner or prospective owner thinking of purchasing a new machine should consider a friction machine very carefully, especially if there are already touchless machines in the area and/or a relative lack of friction machines available for use.

Jony82

Reaction score
My goal wasn't to split hairs, but to ensure the thread starter to do his research before throwing up a friction. Simply stating that a friction will outperform the touchless without knowing his market is misinforming.

Please remember that what you read in text can be misinterpreted depending on the reader's mood at the time. I wasn't arguing for the sake of arguing, just trying to make sure the correct research is done ahead of time. I meant no disrespect.

Etowah

Gabriel

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is will your market support a Mini Tunnel. If it will they are coming and you will have brushes out the a--pple. I personally think that the customers that absolutely will not take their cars into one of those will be hitting the touchless automatics like crazy. I view touchless as the other option and I like it.

Jack

Reaction score
Hi. I'm not sure where this came from. I didn't feel any disrespect so don't worry. I enjoyed the information. Hope to catch you again.
Jack