What's new

Adding a sign

Clintearl

Reaction score
Need advise on a new sign for a one year old 4 bay ss and auto. Thinking about a simple sign stating the name of business and CAR WASH in larger letters, with a readerboard below for specials. How large of a sign should I get? It will be very close to the road. How much will it increase my volume? What should I state on the sign?

Chiefs

Reaction score
Check with your local building department first. You may have to get approval from an architectural review board. Many communites are banning pole signs in favor of smaller monument signs and then letting add signage onto your car wash itself. That size may depend on a formula based on your linear feet of building that faces the street. You may also have setback issues. You may even be restricted on your reader board and how many times a minute it can flash a message.

Given the fact it is open to the public 24-7, I would think that a lighted sign would be a must.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Yep, most local codes have ordenances restricting signs, size, sq. ft. set back, pole hight, mounting style (monument type only in my area now), digital readers are banned in many area (Know this BEFORE YOU BUY ONE). Sandwich signs are banned in my town, pennents & banners can only be up for 30 days before & after a grand opening.

Get a copy first of your area sign ordenace. Then draw out what you think you want & where you want it. Go look at TTS signs web site or other car wash web sites for ideas. TTS has good prices. A local sign installer should know the codes well enough to ge the permits through.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Clintearl,

Make the sign as big as the city will allow in the most visible location. Unless you're McDonalds and have the "Golden Arches" logo that's world renowned, just put Carwash...or Touchless Carwash or whatever your main revenue center is.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Often Overlooked Bright Idea!

When planning a new facility... as well as rejuvenating an existing one, I always recommend the use of ample exterior lighting as a very effective attention-getter.

Often times, simply washing the carwash building with loads of architectural lighting does the trick. A brightly lit building calls attention to the location as well as sending a very positive message of being a safe place to use after dark.

Some operators have used clear holiday lighting wrapped around and on select trees & bushes... a la Christmas decorations, but year-round! You'd be surprised what some little twinkle lights will do to a place.

The effective use of lighting actually make your entire facility a "sign".

-Steve

Wash-A-Roo

Living off .25$
Reaction score
if u go to my website and click on the about washaroo tab u can see a pic of my sign. the top of it is croped in the pic but it has a digital on top of it. it is 6 feet tall total by 8 feet long. ill try to post a better pic. its close to road and our town is only allowing the monument signs.....and yes....my boy has a mohawk.

Attachments