What's new

Adding a R.O. Membrane. How do I plumb it?

Kirb

Reaction score
I need to add a RO membrane to my current system and need to know how to plumb it. I currently have a single 2800gpd membrane that works great, just not enough production. The pump is big enough to handle the extra membrane. What’s the best way to plumb it?
Thank you,
Kirb

MEP001

Reaction score
Plumb it the same as the other membrane, tee the line from the pump to go to both, tee the reject to the drain, tee the product to the tank, make sure the inlet goes to the same end of the membrane that has the V seal on it.

lag

Reaction score
Feed: Just add a T to the first membrane ,and then run a line from the T to the second membrane. Make sure the flow on both membranes run the same way. Then repeat for the product (to tank) ,and reject.

You could also take the reject from the first membrane ,use it to feed the second membrane ,and T the reject and product. Usually only done on 4 membrane systems or larger

Kirb

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

Do I have to plumb in bigger supply, reject and product lines to help with more flow?

MEB
I just want to make sure is the V seal is the rubber o-ring at the one end of the membrane?

LAG
You had mentioned that the reject could be plumbed to the inlet of the second is for bigger systems. Is it recommended for two membrane systems? If so will I just plumb the reject to the inlet or plumb a supply and the reject to the inlet?

Thanks again,
Kirb

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Is there some benefit from plumbing the reject from one to the inlet of the other? It seems that it would foul the downstream membranes quicker.

lag

Reaction score
We have a number of 6 membrane systems. 3 are feed out of the reject from the other 3. I would assume they are that way because of the pump capacity, and/or water savings. The 3 being feed on reject do not foul any sooner (at least in my experience with the bigger units)

As mep stated the brine seal on the membrane goes on the inlet side

1/2" line should be big enough for a 2 membrane system.

I would, if adding a second membrane just T together the units. I found this photo online that may help you visualize the plumbing

http://www.allproducts.com/environment/caware/09-reverse-osmosis.html

Hope I clarified all questions.. Good luck!!

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
With all the water flowing through both membranes, there is more flow which increases production. It will probably shorten the life of the membranes, but in my experience it's not significant and will likely even cost less to operate in the long run.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I need to add a RO membrane to my current system and need to know how to plumb it. I currently have a single 2800gpd membrane that works great, just not enough production. The pump is big enough to handle the extra membrane. What’s the best way to plumb it?
Thank you,
Kirb
Kirb,

If it were mine, I would be leaning towards having a ball valve just before the inlet of each of the membranes to use for balancing the system just in case --- more flow occurred to the first teed off membrane on the manifold.

MJ