What's new

Add On Advice

seattleguy

Reaction score
I have 7 vacs at a 5bay SS, 2 IBA Wash. I was thinking of adding 3 Shampoo/Spot Remove/Fragrance Stations on each of my islands. How do they perform? What sells better the shampoo/spot/removers or Tire Shiner? Does tire shiner leave any kind of slimy residue on the pavement? I was looking at the JE Adams units. Any advice would be great.

Reaction score
a bit of overkill?

hi there. i'm thinking that 3 of these combo units would be 2 too many. we're a 2/3 site in a pretty busy location and we've had had a combo shampoo-vac and a combo fragrance-vac operating for 7 1/2 years. i don't see the volume of these units warranting any additional combos. personally, i wouldn't put in a tire shine machine due to the slip/fall hazaard that would result. just my opinion, but i think customers would prefer mini spray bottles from a vendor instead. in fact, i wouldn't install another fragrance machine at all and would do a second shampoo before doing anything else. hope that helps.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I sold all my fragrance machines years ago. The little tree venders far out sold them and require less maintenance. The shampoo combo vac doesn't generate enough revenue to make it worth the headaches for me. I'm in the north US so it's a seasonal gig anyways. Maybe in the south it's a different game. Parts ain't cheap for those things. A couple weeks ago someone scrubbed spilled paint with the brush/shampooer and vacuumed it up...what a mess. Straight vacs only for me...no more combos.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
I have 4 shampoo vacs and two fragrance vacs. If I had it to do over again I would do it in reverse. My wash is in what is considered an upper middle class area and I actually thought the shampoo vacs would get more use. All the vacs do OK but the fragrance vacs seem to do almost three times what the shampoo vacs do. The one thing I have wondered about though is the way I have the fragrance vacs positioned when you pull to the vac island they would be at the driver side door where the shampoo vacs would be on the passenger side door. I have noticed that the vacs on the driver side always do more anyway....it is hard to judge how much is vac revenue vs fragrance/shampoo revenue as well.

washme1

Reaction score
I have combo fragrance and combo shampoo in front of my 5/1. Like Borumrn, I think the logistics and location make a big difference. The fragrance does not last long when applied (be sure to use oil based) but I still see it being used quite a lot. My shampoo combo does more volume but it probably is due to logistics. I went through a period of headaches with the fragrance but it has been working well for a couple of years now. The shampoo is less troublesome. Replacement of guns/hose for each is expensive. I think in the $250 range. Had a customer drive away (I assume) with the fragrance gun still in car. The shampoo head will wear out. One of each should be enough. I have considered tire shine but would like to hear from other operators regarding their experience with those.

seattleguy

Reaction score
OK based on everyone's input I am going to order 1 Shampoo and spot cleaner and see how it does. If they want fragrance they can buy one of the Predator spray bottles we vend (not a big seller) or an air freshener tree. My vacs are priced at $1 for 3 minutes. I was toying with going $2 for 4 minutes. I think I will price the shampoo machine at $2. Opinions?

washme1

Reaction score
OK based on everyone's input I am going to order 1 Shampoo and spot cleaner and see how it does. If they want fragrance they can buy one of the Predator spray bottles we vend (not a big seller) or an air freshener tree. My vacs are priced at $1 for 3 minutes. I was toying with going $2 for 4 minutes. I think I will price the shampoo machine at $2. Opinions?
I'm at $1/4 minutes vac. $1/3minutes shampoo. It takes a while to shampoo. Are you sure you can have two different start prices on the machine? If yes, I think $2 is probably ok if you run for 4 or 5 minutes.

seattleguy

Reaction score
I'm at $1/4 minutes vac. $1/3minutes shampoo. It takes a while to shampoo. Are you sure you can have two different start prices on the machine? If yes, I think $2 is probably ok if you run for 4 or 5 minutes.
I am getting a stand alone shampoo machine. My vacs are just vacs.

When someone vacs up the shamppp from the carpet cleaner does the solution ever clog up the vac bag?

MEP001

Reaction score
Not with the proper shampoo. Just don't try to mix up water and Dawn in a pinch.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
My combo Shampooers are $3.00 to Sahmpoo.

I have a stnad alone at 1 place at $2.00

The Coleman Fragrance Hose Assembly is about $125.00 (metal Gun) . Much superior to the JE Adams units (Plasstic Gun) and about the same price. I've used it to replace the JE Adams hose assemblies. The colemans last a couple of years. The JE Damas abot half as long.

The Coleman Shampoo assemblies tend to fail in the center of the hose where it flexes most and rubs on the ground most. I cover then with other hose at that point to help that wear issue.

MEP001

Reaction score
Earl Weiss said:
My combo Shampooers are $3.00 to Sahmpoo.

I have a stnad alone at 1 place at $2.00
I decided to set the shampoo/spot remover the same price and time as the vac ($1/4 min). The shampooer puts out a LOT of foam, so they have to either switch it on and off a lot or vacuum a lot. Can't be too bad if each of the three frag/shampoo/vacs almost pays for itself over again every year. Total cost of parts and product isn't more than $200 a year.
Earl Weiss said:
The Coleman Fragrance Hose Assembly is about $125.00 (metal Gun) . Much superior to the JE Adams units (Plasstic Gun) and about the same price. I've used it to replace the JE Adams hose assemblies. The colemans last a couple of years. The JE Damas abot half as long.The Coleman Shampoo assemblies tend to fail in the center of the hose where it flexes most and rubs on the ground most. I cover then with other hose at that point to help that wear issue.
I use a Fragramatics gun/shampoo head with abrasion-resistant pressure washer hose and assemble my own. They last about 4 years before the cover starts to rot and split, probably because they're in the sun. I use blue hose so it's non-marking on cars - black might last longer.

Etowah