What's new

ACW IV Credit Card Reader

Randy

Reaction score
You more than likely have a bad card reader. I?d start by replacing the card reader. It?s Part #100-0126

Bob Krist

Hamilton Mfg. Corp.
Reaction score
Might want to check and see if someone jammed some quarters or something in the reader. When you slide a credit card all the way into the reader, only 2 of the card numbers should be visible, any more than that and there may be something jammed in the reader.

Also, try powering the machine down for 30 seconds. Power it back up and try a card swipe. There is a communication chip in the controller that receives the serial data from the card reader. When that chip begins to fail, it will not recognize card swipes and powering down/up reset the chip.

And as Randy has stated, the card reader may have just failed and needs replaced...

Keep us posted.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
I went there today because Hamilton credit card services wanted me to have the handheld plugged in as they couldn't get the machine to talk to them without loosing the connection. I have older machines and this has always been the case. Anyway, I noticed that there were transactions on the fax machine for both of my machines (no transactions for 4 days prior, but still got the empty page that says no transactions). I went and tried the one I'm having trouble with and it now works??? I think my attendant must have turned the breaker off (as he is trained to do) to that machine to try and reset it. He must have left it off long enough (I didn't power it down long enough I guess before) for it to reset. However, now that we're on the subject, the plastic housing (the black part) that the cards go into I think is cracked. You have to reposition the cards to get them to go in all the way. There is nothing jammed in there. I have my trusty hacksaw blade handy to remove those quarters when people forget how to read.

AdamA

Reaction score
You want to troubleshoot before replacing reader. Hamilton can walk you through checking if you have power at the right spots etc. If card number gets 'jammed' in controller it will stop taking cards. Again, Hamilton can help you.