What's new

Acw Hamilton Cc Problem....help!

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
Back in May I started having a problem with one of my cashiers not taking credit cards. It wouldn't even beep to acklnowledge a card had been swiped. I would power the ACW down then unplug the CC power pack and that would take care of it for awhile. Hamilton told me the next time it happened to just power down the ACW and see if that took care of it. That is what I did and it did take care of it for awhile. They said the problem would be in the controller since powering down the ACW brought it back to life. I sent it in and they couldn't get it to act up but I had them replace any parts that could possibley be causing the problem. Received it back and thought all was OK but it started again. Mean time I sent in an older controller and had it re-programed to take CC. When it came back I installed it and thought everything was OK until today. The newly re-programed controler is doing the same thing. I shut the power to the ACW off and all is OK. The problem is very sporadic. This last time it had taken a whole week before it showed up again. Now approxamately $330.00 later I still have the problem. I checked harnesses and any other connections that I thought it could possible be. Hamilton said if what they repiared on the first one didn't fix it that I should get a new controller. (approx $1,000) I haven't talked to them yet as to having the same problem with the second controller. It seems to me that since they could not get it to malfunction at Hamilton and is happening with two repaired controllers that just maybe the problem isn't in the controller. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY IDEAS as to what is causing this???????????

vinh

Reaction score
A few months ago I had the same problems with ACW 4 as you described. Called Hamilton and they did a software update to the modem and it fixed it. Been trouble free for months now. I went through a whole year of power down the ACW and restarting it like you said. Even sent in a controller to hamilton once for check ($75).

MEP001

Reaction score
Hamilton is usually good with service, but it's not their $1,000 they're trying to throw at the problem to try and solve it. I doubt that's the problem, but short of suggesting the same thing as replacing parts I don't know what to suggest.

Randy

Reaction score
Do you have a factory installed credit card system or a Retro-fit card system? I doubt if both controllers would have the same problem. It almost sounds to me like you?ve got problem with the CRC computer. Do you have another ACW with the same CC system? If you do, try swapping the CRC computers around and see if the problem goes with the CRC computer. The problem could also be in the card reader. How old is the card reader?

brett

Reaction score
I just had this EXACT same problem and it turned out to be the credit card reader. BTW I have an ACW 5 CRC. Hope this helps.

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas and I will probably try them. I already thought about changing out different parts from another ACW. Also, if it would be the reader, why does it reset after powering down. This is why I didn't think it was the reader.

brett

Reaction score
Like I said I had the exact same problem as you. After swapping the controllers and the CRC computers, the problem continued. I swapped card readers and the problem followed the reader. Good luck finding your problem!