What's new

accumulating vacuum motor timer

BBE

Reaction score
I'm looking for some sort of accumulating timer I can wire up to each vac motor in my SS vacs to keep track of minutes/hours used. So it would have a display that displays the amount of minutes/hours. Probably similar to maybe what diskin uses when they offer to put a timer on one of your air shammee units to measure usage. I'd like it to be resettable. The idea is to periodically check each vac motor usage, and change the brushes on the vac motor at x amounts of minutes/hours. Then reset the timer, and do it all over again.

Any thoughts on a timer that would work for this?

MEP001

Reaction score
You want a resettable hour meter.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
An LED 7 timer will do the same thing. It tracks total usage and is resettable but would only monitor total vac usage, not how long each motor has been used. Even with an hour meter, You won't be able to track each motor separately since they are both (Or three) wired together unless you incorporate some relays...Is it worth it? Motors last a long time and they are pretty cheap. I mark the install date on mine and they last for years....I Run them till they quit and change 'em out...

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Or a counter that counts the pulses and then just figure the math that X Pulses = Y usage and change when Y reaches whatever.

MEP001

Reaction score
I go through and change the brushes every two years. The Domel motor brushes will last quite a lot longer, but for about an hour and less than $50 I don't have to worry about them. The less used vacs are worn down less than a quarter so I leave them for another two years.