What's new

A tale of two trade shows

mac

Reaction score
I had the good fortune of attending the NBAA trade show in Orlando this week. That is the group that sells business aircraft, mostly high end jets and helicopters (they are NOT choppers as the dimwits on TV keep stating). It really struck me at the differences in this show and the recent ICA show. Both were held in the same convention hall. Here's what I noticed:
1. The airplane show took up the entire hall. It was huge. I really liked the way the booths were placed. They were not in a ridgid grid like at the ICA. Just had a nicer feel to it.
2. Attendence was strong. Not as much as last year, but healthy from talking to the people working there. A big difference from the ICA. The people buying this stuff are making business plans years out, and they are buying. It's refreshing to be around positive people, even for just a few hours.
3. The majority of people working the booths were actually working the booths. Almost all said hello with a nice smile. None of them were wearing jeans and eating food. Most wore suits. There were a lot of pretty women working the booths. Not sure what they knew about operating a Gulfstream V, but they sure got the people in the booths.
4. Most of the booths had nice gimme items: hats, nice chocolate, gizmos, and lavish brochures.
5. Even though many of the things for sale there cost well north of 10 million, and they used the entire hall, it was free to walk the floor. Not $300, free.
6. While many car wash manufacturers have made good strides in turning out a good looking piece of machinery, the level of professionalism in these things is something wonderful to behold. There basically are no genuine standards in this business, except for general UL things. With aircraft, almost everything is speced out, and there's a reason for it.
7. Did I mention the pretty women? Sooo many of the carwash exhibitors I talked to at the show said it was so sexist to have models work the booth. Well, it seems to work for this crowd.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I think it is tough to compare their industry to ours. The people/companies looking to buy an airplane as opposed to car wash equipment and other items is a little different client?le. However I do agree that there needs to be changes in the way our industry puts on shows. I am not sure that with all the husband and wife teams attending our shows that pretty women would work that well. One year that I worked a booth with a large company that had several models handing out product information I know the company received some negative feedback about it.

I have been attending and working car wash shows since the late 70's and they have come a long way but still have a ways to go. BTW - Did they charge an admission fee?

mac

Reaction score
No, it was free if you were just walking the floor. There was even a full bar open by 9 AM.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Free admission so exhibitors have a better exposure to their customers. What a novel idea!

Are you out their listening Car Wash Associations?

phred113

Reaction score
Free admission so exhibitors have a better exposure to their customers. What a novel idea!

Are you out their listening Car Wash Associations?
This would attract too many people........besides, the big guys are too concerned about the cost of shipping all the iron to the shows and would rather everyone buy their equipment from a snazzy video presentation. I think then the models would work.

Do you see value in seeing the actual equipment or do you buy based upon the folks selling and their distributor? It has been said all this stuff works the same.....so why do you need to see the real equipment at a show?

Let your OEM know your opinion.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
This would attract too many people........besides, the big guys are too concerned about the cost of shipping all the iron to the shows and would rather everyone buy their equipment from a snazzy video presentation. I think then the models would work.

Do you see value in seeing the actual equipment or do you buy based upon the folks selling and their distributor? It has been said all this stuff works the same.....so why do you need to see the real equipment at a show?

Let your OEM know your opinion.
Free admission would attract too many people? IMO, average joes aren't interested in car wash equipment. I'd be fine with a registration fee to cover the costs of the badges, but make it like $10 or so, not $300.

Oh, you want to see "booth babes"? Go to the SEMA show/convention in vegas next month. Your head will be on a swivel.

Kevin James

Reaction score
Mac you must be nipping on an old jug of JP-5. I don?t think there is any comparison of the NBAA Aviation convention to the ICA or any of the regional car wash conventions. With an attendance of 30,000 people it?s about 4 times bigger than the ICA convention and I don?t know how much bigger than the regional shows. I went to the NBAA web site looking for registration information, looking for information on the next convention. This is what I found, http://web.nbaa.org/public/cs/amc/2008/registration/information.php No free lunch here.