What's new

A guy walks into the equipment room...

MEP001

Reaction score
I was checking video from yesterday on the morning employee and saw a guy walk into the equipment room and look around. I don't know if he was looking for something to steal or if he was checking it out planning to burglarize it later. Naturally he managed to drive out at an angle that didn't let me get his license plate number clearly.

He waited in a bay and watched for the employee to walk out with the broom and dustpan, then went and stuck his head in the room, turned around once to make sure she was far enough away, then walked through the room looking around.

What would you guys do? I have a clear shot of his face and a dozen very good looks at his car (a white 4-door Olds Alero with tinted windows), but nothing the police could use.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like curiosity or "where can I get change" to me, definite bad intent.
Me, I would notify the police. It may or may not help, but I'd be sure to show them the video. Police in my town will significantly increase their patrols of my wash after I report something suspicious.

If you trust the employees, also tell them - in a way that doesnt frighten them.
I also like the idea of the "automatic lock" on the door.

Eric H

Reaction score
Can you print out a picture of the guy and post it on the equipment room door? If I was going to rob a place and saw my picture posted I'd probably go rob someone else.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I like the idea of posting his pic on the door. Something like:

Have you seen this man? He is the winner of 5 free washes!

Kind of hokey, but why not? I think it would show him that you are aware of him and you have cameras to boot.

Good Luck

MEP001

Reaction score
That was the first thing I did: print out the picture to show to the cops and post above the changer.

The door does have an auto-lock, but the morning employee is too lazy to unlock the door more than once a day and props it wide open even after being instructed to keep it closed when she is out of view of it.

I'll give the cops a "heads up," certainly can't hurt. I do see them on video driving through the lot once in a while and late at night, in fact one pulled up blacked out trying to bust me the last time I was there at 3 am.

I think the guy was looking for something he could pick up, like a stack of bills laying out. The employee has no petty cash because it kept slowly going away with notes like "cleaned bays $7.50" with no video of bays ever getting cleaned.