What's new

A Gentlemanly Wager About Sen. Mccains Election

P

Patrick H. Crowe

I do not believe Sen. McCain will be elected president. I'll give very long odds on a modest wager. Here's the bet.

If McCain is elected president then I will send anyone who accepts this wager a full set of the new 30 Self-service Car Wash Technical Bulletins. They are just being published and five new ones have been added. The value is in excess of $45.

If Sen McCain is not elected then you send me ten dollars - - that's better than 4 to one odds. Moreover I'll send the losers their choice of any one of the 30 bulletins. Merely send me a private email and let me know you accept the wager and where to mail you all 30 bulletins if I'm wrong or your one choice if I'm right. See the titles and descriptions at www.carwashappraisal.com.

Please stop the raving and put your money where your mouth is.

Patrick H. Crowe

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wager; isn't Obama already President? Could've sworn I saw him on teevee sitting behind what appeared to be the Presidential Seal mounted to an expensive looking desk!

TheDoc

Reaction score
I'll accept publicly, but have no use for the bulletins. How about something more useful like a $25.00 gas or restaurant card?
You can find me here and I'll email you directly!

Pat, do you hope NObama picks Oprah as his vp?

That means where up $#!^$ creek with no paddles and a hole in the boat!

bighead

Reaction score
I did this one: I went up to a girl and made a 50/50 bet... loser had to pay for dinner... but either way I got what I wanted, a date with the girl

same thing here... the Technical Bulletins probably "cost" mr crowe $0.15 each to print, thus his cost from a loss is a mere $5 with shipping (and he gets his bulletins out there, not to mention the advertising for them that this thread creates) AND what's the upside? You pay him $10 and he baits you with one of the bulletins that he's trying to advertise....

good move mr. crowe

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
nuts, its been several years since I wasted time on a PC thread, how did I not notice what I was opening?

Edit:
but what the heck, since I'm here I'll say that "very long odds" must mean at least 100:1 (at least!), so if you are willing to take your own advice and "stop the raving and put your money where your mouth is" then sure, I'll put up $10 on mccain against your $1,000 on obama. Otherwise, GET OFF MY COMPUTER SCREEN!"

there, I feel better. :)

Last edited:
Etowah
P

Patrick H. Crowe

Dear Paul:

In the context of any American presidential election 100 to one odds is absurd. When I gave 4 to 1 odds I'm claiming that I believe Sen McCain has about a 20% chance of being elected. No nominee in my lifetime has ever lost by such a ratio. Often a few percentage points is the margin. What you fail to do is accept or reject the wager. You don't put up or shut up. Instead ou wander off point and quibble about the meaning of long odds. Silly! Please put your money where our mouth is. Please recognize odds n a political context.

Patrick H. Crowe

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Dear Doc:

Here's what I am not willin to do. I do not want scores of different bets to track. I set the terms and I believe they are generous. I have made some personal offers to guys I know of large sums of even money but since this bet could have many takers I only accept one form. I have put substantial capital at risk. Thanks for your reply.

Patrick H. Crowe

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
OK, then lets set some rules. I know a lot of readers will take this bet. The odds are set at 4:1. We bet $10 each, you put up $40 for each bet. Everyone posts their bet publicly on this site. All winnings will be donated to MakeAWish, etc through the site. We can use pitz as the go-between.
Not even sure if this is legal, but Pat started this, I would like to see it thru. Just want to see it worthwhile for everyone.

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Dear BayWatch:

I applaud your efforts to establish "rules" for YOUR bet. Please feel 100% free to do so and please use YOUR capital (assets) to fund YOUR bet.

I already did all that for MY wager. Now some folks want to explain that it's like the sucker bet they made because that's the only way they could get a date. Another guy wants to show all he knows about publshing by telling us I produce the bulletins for fiftee cents - - lessthan the Priority mailing costs - - never mind all the other costs.

Now you want to further change, (modify) MY bet.

Please kind sir, make YOUR OWN BET using your capital (assets) and set YOUR rules, any way you like. Please let mine stand as written.

Why is it so many people can't just accept or reject my wager and istead want to make mine into THEIRS? It amazes me.

Patrick H. Crowe

Etowah

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
Yeah but your bet sucks and I dont want to win what you have to offer. Just thought if all winnings went to a better cause than you and I, then no one looses. I could bet that if I lose, I would send everyone 5 lbs of dirt, but everyone has that and doesnt want it. The squeeze has to be worth the juice, so please when no one takes your lame bet, cause we dont want what you have to offer, please dont say we are scared to stand up for our candidate.

P

Patrick H. Crowe

BayWatch: Please make your own wager. Please refrain from being a self-appointed wager critic. That seems childish. If you elect to never play powerball that's fine but please don't complain about it.

Patrick H. Crowe

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
Trust me, I complain all day long about not winning the lottery and yes I never buy a ticket. Whats the point of me making a wager, the majority would agree with me. Besides Im not the one trying to pull people into a sucker bet. I would think most everyone saw thru to your real intentions. And as I see no one has taken the bet yet, not because they are afraid of losing, but because the bet/reward is not interesting enough. And just in case all of the misinformed and closed eyed youth happen actually vote this time, which I am afraid can happen, I am saving/hiding my money because I know Obama will try and take it and give to some one other than those who need it.

TheDoc

Reaction score
Pat,

If Obama wins I'll send you a gas giftcard for $25.00. If McCain wins, you don't have to send me the bullentins, just admit you were wrong.
Fair enough?
This month the skeletons will burst out of Obama's closet!

Just because he is a great orator, shouldn't mean that he is the "automatic" choice. This country is IN trouble and the Dems CANNOT fix it!

P

Patrick H. Crowe

Doc:

Done deal and I'll match the $25 and send it to C. A. S. A. (Court appointed special advocates).

Thhank you kind sir..
Patrick H. Crowe

P

Patrick H. Crowe

As you can see TheDoc made me an even money bet which I immediately accepted. Moreover I offered to send my winnings from him and a matching amount as a donation to C. A. S. A.

I'll make the same wager with anyone. Given the abundance of "wager critics" let me add three footnotes: 1. Yes, I get a tax deduction for the donation. 2. I will send copies of the checks I get and my matching check to Bill, if he'll acept, so the skeptics can be sure I did as promised. 3. I reserve the right to withdraw the offer at any time just in case the volume exceeds my assets.

Patrick H. Crowe
The OPRAH for President Guy