What's new

5 PPM TDS in my spot free

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I am getting spots from my In Bay Automatic. I am checking the clear coat dilutions but was wondering if my spot free could be the problem. The last time I checked my TDS reading it was at 5 PPM, which I thought indicated my spot free was OK. Is there anything else I can check in my spot free to see if this is causing the problem? Small white spots form where ever the blowers do not completely dry the car.
Thanks,
Buzzie

koliver

PDQ Sales Engineer
Reaction score
When you are checking your spot free, are you taking a sample out of the tank? What you should be doing is taking a sample that is being applied to the car while washing. This will tell you if there is anything contaminating your spot free. If this is coming out under 40 ppm, you will need to look at something else.

Is this happening on every wash package? If it isn't happening on every wash, what are the differences? Have you ran any washes without the sealant?

MEP001

Reaction score
5 PPM is very good. Test it straight from the RO system, from the tank and at the nozzles. If something is contaminating it, those tests will help you narrow it down.

In case you have a partially failing check valve, take a sample at the start of the RO pass and another at the very end.

lag

Reaction score
We had a similar issue a few years ago. It ended up our dryers needed a good cleaning. We now clean them from time to time.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
We had a similar issue a few years ago. It ended up our dryers needed a good cleaning. We now clean them from time to time.
That's interesting. I'm not sure how I could clean anything but the nozzles on my blowers (at least without removing them).

lag

Reaction score
That's interesting. I'm not sure how I could clean anything but the nozzles on my blowers (at least without removing them).
Our blowers are all seperate housings (prolly why they can get so nasty). to clean, we just blast water into them while they are running.

bigleo48

Reaction score
to clean, we just blast water into them while they are running.
That's a sure way to get very wet!

We have also encounter issues with stuff on our doors in the winter. The door would then open when drying with whatever was on the door dripping on the cars and spotting.

Also, below 50PPM is considered low enough not to leave noticeable spots. I haven't tried this.

Buzzie8

Reaction score

I am still having the spotting problem. This is a photo without any clear coat being applied I am having similar results when I do apply clear coat. I checked the TDS level in the bay of my spot free and it says 2 PPM my tap water is at 114 PPM. Maybe there is a problem with my TDS meter. I am wondering if this is partially a problem with the new car I recently bought. It was coated with a "PTFE" paint sealant. It is called TST 5000. I knew that a dark Blue car would show every spot my car wash was producing but I never imagined it was this bad. I need to find out what the problem is here. when cars leave my lot they look OK I never see them after they are completely dry in the garage. My wife's car has some spotting but nearly as bad as mine. If the photo link above did not work try this one.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/w5CgWjpbjiTvtkenxhH76DU5b_9QuQwDgnKnNEZWvf0?feat=directlink

MEP001

Reaction score
I wouldn't think a coating on the car would cause spots. At this point I would suspect the TDS meter is bad - 114 PPM seems low for tap water.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Are you sure that you are completely rinsing the vehicle before applying the spot-free? It looks like soap residue coming from the cracks and crevices on your car to me.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
My recipe ends with the following:
Pass 5 triple foam
Pass 6 clear coat
Pass 7 fresh water rinse
Pass 8 spot free
Pass 9 and 10 blower
I just ordered a new TDS meter. I am wondering if the membranes are bad in RO system. If the TDS level is still low with new meter I will need to regroup. I agree that it does look like soap that hasn't been completely rinsed.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
My recipe ends with the following:
Pass 5 triple foam
Pass 6 clear coat
Pass 7 fresh water rinse
Pass 8 spot free
Pass 9 and 10 blower
I just ordered a new TDS meter. I am wondering if the membranes are bad in RO system. If the TDS level is still low with new meter I will need to regroup. I agree that it does look like soap that hasn't been completely rinsed.
Does it only show up on the wash that includes the triple foam? That might be causing your rinsing problem. I eliminated triple foam from my tunnel wash because of the same problem.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
We had spot free hose fail on one IBA but did not replace for a month so spot free pass was running on soft city water. No noticeable spots or complaints--our city is 110 ppm. If the weather is cool I would think the solids don't bake out and water blows off. Anyone turning spot free off in winter to save money?

Ted

MEP001

Reaction score
The PPM here is about 1200, so no.

soapy

Reaction score
I have had to run soft water in the past for a while instead of RO water. I never had a complaint. My water starts at 20 grains hardness (2000 ppm) but after softner it is around 200 ppm before RO.

tobaccofarmer

Reaction score
What kind of water softener do you have to take tds down like that? I didnt think water softeners changed TDS just grains of hardness? Am I missing something here?

MEP001

Reaction score
It depends on the contaminant - dissolved calcium reads on a TDS meter just like anything else in it.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
What kind of water softener do you have to take tds down like that? I didnt think water softeners changed TDS just grains of hardness? Am I missing something here?
My treated water is softened and is run through RO to get to the lower TDS.