What's new

320W Metal Halide Fixture Not working.

vinh

Reaction score
I have a 7 yr hubbell 320W pulse start MH fixture that does not work with a new bulb. Pretty sure that it is that ballast (Coil, ignitor, or capacitor) I am thinking of ordering a replacement kit for $70. Are these easy to replace yourself? And there are so many different brand, does it matter which brand or just as long as I get the right kit.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Hope it's easy and universal. Just ordered one from LightingOnTheNet.com / Wholesalebulbs.com . Costs $63.90 incl S&H.

Now, I seem to have 2 different types of bulbs. One has a more white light and one seems to have a slight pinkish tint. Moth 320 W MH fixtures. I prefer the whiter one. What's the diff?

MEP001

Reaction score
It's usually just the capacitor that goes out - they are pretty universal in replacement. If the whole ballast is bad, it'll usually be burnt.

Earl Weiss said:
Now, I seem to have 2 different types of bulbs. One has a more white light and one seems to have a slight pinkish tint.
It's not unusual to have differences in color output between bulbs, even of the same exact brand and type.

Rudy

Reaction score
You can try replacing just the capacitor. 75% of the time, it will fix it. If the ballast is bad, it usually smells burnt. FWIW...I am able to buy spare ballast kits on ebay for about 1/2 price. It's worth it to me to have a spare around.......

vinh

Reaction score
Alright just ordered two 320 W MH capacitors and one 320W MH PS Ballast kit for $93 shipped. Figure I try swapping capacitor out first than if not working, change ballast kit. hope I don't get electrocuted.

MEP001

Reaction score
Rudy said:
You can try replacing just the capacitor. 75% of the time, it will fix it. If the ballast is bad, it usually smells burnt.
Didn't I just say that?

nctraveler

Reaction score
They are easy to repair. The wires are usually labeled and the kits come with good diagrams to assist. I would reccommend replacing all of the items with the kit. Yes an ignitor or capacitor are usually the problem, but you stated that the fixture is 7 years old. I prefer to replace all the items at once on an aged unit. It would not be long before the other components started going out also. Advance and Magnetec are common manufacturers.