What's new

310 pump issue

lenny351

Reaction score
Hi all. Looking for a little insight on what I think may be an issue with my spare 310 pump. I finally got around to tearing into it to replace the seals and a general cleanup to prepare it to be put back in service. When I removed the head, it seems as though the ceramic plungers have a lot of play in them before the actual crank and rod begins to move. I would say maybe a 1/4 to 3/8". I have never noticed this in any 310's that I have torn apart. I really don't want to disassemble another one to check, so I thought I would ask on here. Long story short, is this normal? thanks. I don't remember any issues with the pump prior to being taken from service.

MEP001

Reaction score
No, it's not normal. You can take the back cover off the crankcase and make sure the bolts haven't backed out of the connecting rod caps. There should be NO perceptible play in the plungers. Make sure the bolts on the plungers themselves aren't loose too.

lenny351

Reaction score
Thanks. That was my thought but wanted to ask the pros. I will disassemble and check it out. The pump is old.

Randy

Reaction score
If you need a Cat 310 crackcase, watch EBay I see a few Cat 310 crankcases on there every now and then.